This is a ready-only archive of the InstallSite Forum. You cannot post any new content here. / Dies ist ein Archiv des InstallSite Forums. Hier können keine neuen Beiträge veröffentlicht werden.
Photo

COM+ Object construction string

7 replies to this topic

JulianR

JulianR
  • Members
  • 1 posts

Posted 01 February 2002 - 20:27

Does anybody know how to set COM+ Object construction string during installation?

Kurt Schneider

Kurt Schneider
  • Members
  • 98 posts

Posted 04 February 2002 - 16:07

Greetings,

Can you be more specific as to what you need to do?  I have created installations for COM+ applications in the past but am unfamiliar with the term "Object construction string".  

Kurt Schneider

mikegillow

mikegillow
  • Members
  • 3 posts

Posted 05 February 2002 - 22:35

Kurt,
I have a number of dlls that have to be installed, either as COM+ applications or MTS packages, depending on OS.  I also need to set properties for them, such as Security settings and RunAs identity.  Can you recommend any utilities/scripts for this (using IS7.02)?

Thanks!
Mike

Kurt Schneider

Kurt Schneider
  • Members
  • 98 posts

Posted 06 February 2002 - 18:49

Hey Mike,

I had a similar situation a while back.  I ended up doing the following.  I set up my install to put the MTS/COM+ dll's where they needed to go.  Then I wrote a Custom Action in VBScript.  One the utilized the COMSVCS.dll and the MTSAdmin.dll to handle installing components, exporting packages, setting up security etc.  

Stick an Email address in your profile.  I'll send you a rather large .vbs file for you to examine.  It might give you some ideas.  I'll zip it up for ya and save it as txt.

Good Luck

Kurt Schneider

mikegillow

mikegillow
  • Members
  • 3 posts

Posted 06 February 2002 - 19:55

Kurt,

I appreciate the help.  Email address should now show (if I did it right).

Leigh Ravenhall

Leigh Ravenhall
  • Members
  • 269 posts

Posted 06 February 2002 - 23:43

I solved my problems with MTS/COM+ in exactly the same way.  I wonder how many variations of this script have been rewritten amongst us.

mikegillow

mikegillow
  • Members
  • 3 posts

Posted 07 February 2002 - 14:54

Too many, I imagine.  I had marginal success using this method in IS6 script - never could get the user account stuff to work reliably.  I was hoping that IS7 and WI would open up a new way to do it.  Am I correct in thinking that the rollback feature for failed installs under WI doesn't apply to custom actions using IS script, so that if the install fails after a point where this script is executed, its actions don't get automatically backed out?  

Leigh Ravenhall

Leigh Ravenhall
  • Members
  • 269 posts

Posted 07 February 2002 - 23:24

You are correct.  The rollback feature will only rollback standard actions automatically.  If you need to rollback custom actions, then you will need to create another action, with rollback execution.  It has the same restrictions as a deferred custom action with regards to property access.  Place it in the script immediately before the deferred action that it will rollback.  Condition it the same as the custom action it is rolling back.