This is a ready-only archive of the InstallSite Forum. You cannot post any new content here. / Dies ist ein Archiv des InstallSite Forums. Hier können keine neuen Beiträge veröffentlicht werden.
Photo

Avoiding Need Of Original MSI On Remove

4 replies to this topic

rene_mt

rene_mt
  • Members
  • 5 posts

Posted 02 December 2004 - 09:44

Hi all!

I have got an annoying problem concerning Windows Installer setups:

On deinstallation the installer needs the original MSI file - means: the MSI used for installation from exactly the same location. This is a nasty thing: If you use an installation image from network and the image has been removed you can not deinstall the installed application - the installer asks for the original MSI and if you can't find it you can not continue deinstallation...

There must be a way to avoid this behaviour, isn't there? Doesn't the installer cache the MSI on installation or something?

Hope, someone has a good solution becaus this behaviour is extremely disturbing for our customers... mad.gif

Regards,

ReneMT

PS: I've got the problems when using ISWI 1.52 and WiX...

Edited by rene_mt, 02 December 2004 - 09:46.

mandy

mandy
  • Members
  • 121 posts

Posted 03 December 2004 - 13:51

It's unusual for an MSI to require the source during uninstall - it does cache a local copy of the database as you rightly said. Normally, the information in the local copy of the database is enough to uninstall the product.

I guess your MSI is doing something specific at uninstall - such as running a custom action from the source folder?

Stefan Krueger

Stefan Krueger

InstallSite.org

• Administrators
  • 13,269 posts

Posted 03 December 2004 - 15:22

Do you have the ResolveSource standard action in any of your sequences? Is it conditioned not to run during uninstall?
Does a log file give any additional information?

mandy

mandy
  • Members
  • 121 posts

Posted 04 December 2004 - 00:25

Good point Stefan - I've been trying to think what might cause an install to require the source.

But I got the impression (maybe wrongly) that this was a common problem for Rene? Surely he can't have many MSIs that call the ResolveSource action during removal?

If this is the problem, it should be possible to hide the issue with a "/qn" switch? I don't think it's a "fatal" error?

rene_mt

rene_mt
  • Members
  • 5 posts

Posted 06 December 2004 - 10:50

Thanks for your answers until now. The hint with the 'ResolveSource' action was good - it was actually not scheduled not to run during uninstall. I now added a "NOT REMOVE" condition.

Furthermore I will inspect the custom action I am using to see if they access source in some manner. If it doesn't help at all I will announce again.

Regards,
René