This is a ready-only archive of the InstallSite Forum. You cannot post any new content here. / Dies ist ein Archiv des InstallSite Forums. Hier können keine neuen Beiträge veröffentlicht werden.
Photo

Shutdown running application during uninstall

2 replies to this topic

KBrecheisen

KBrecheisen
  • Full Members
  • 5 posts

Posted 30 July 2009 - 18:40

I would like to be able to detect whether our application is running during an uninstall or upgrade so I can either shutdown the application, or warn the user to close the program before continuing. I have seen many other installations that do this, but InstallShield had no direct support for this issue. I have tried to search this forum for any info and failed to produce any results. This is obviously something that may installation developers are doing and a friend told me that at least one competitor to InstallShield has that functionality built in.

Does anybody have CustomActions, InstallScript, code, suggestions, etc to help me?

luke_s

luke_s
  • Full Members
  • 532 posts

Posted 31 July 2009 - 00:56

Usually this is done via custom action. It will need to either query the service status (if it exists) or find another way to detect if the process is running.

I don't think Windows Installer provides any of this by default. If by some chance the application you are trying to stop creates a registry key, or file when it starts to run, you could use the AppSearch table to search for this instead of using a custom action.

You might have also seen the "file in use" prompt. This pops up when a files that the mis is trying to overwrite is held in use. This could be what you are after.

m.nouryan

m.nouryan
  • Full Members
  • 23 posts

Posted 09 August 2009 - 20:37

see my comment in this post:

http://forum.install...showtopic=16942

let me know if you have problems getting it up and running.

~ Morteza