This is a ready-only archive of the InstallSite Forum. You cannot post any new content here. / Dies ist ein Archiv des InstallSite Forums. Hier können keine neuen Beiträge veröffentlicht werden.
Photo

can I use the BATCH_INSTALL to force a reboot

3 replies to this topic

elliot

elliot
  • Full Members
  • 28 posts

Posted 20 June 2005 - 00:11

Hi,

I am interested in forcing a reboot at the end of my installation (even if the installation itself do not require any reboot).

Can I use the BATCH_INSTALL InstallScript variable to force a reboot in my basic MSI installation?
Or is there another way to force a reboot in a basic MSI project?

Thanks,

Igal

Vijay_k

Vijay_k
  • Full Members
  • 34 posts

Posted 20 June 2005 - 15:20

Hi,

I am not sure about the BATCH_INSTALL InstallScript variable.

But you can use the following 2 options.
1. If you are using some command line for the installation, then you can use the option REBOOT=FORCE.

Ex:
msiexec.exe /i "Installation" /qb+! REBOOT=FORCE
(This will prompt for restart)

msiexec.exe /i "Installation" /qb-! REBOOT=FORCE
(This will restart without prompting)

2. If you want your installation to have this reboot option, then you can use a VB Script as "Call VBScript for embeded code" and use
Session.Property("REBOOT") = "ReallySuppress"
You can customize this custom action as you require, as whether to prompt for restart or not.

elliot

elliot
  • Full Members
  • 28 posts

Posted 20 June 2005 - 16:55

Hi Vijay_k,

Thanks for the quick reply.

I will try the REBOOT=FORCE option.

Igal

Stefan Krueger

Stefan Krueger

InstallSite.org

• Administrators
  • 13,269 posts

Posted 20 June 2005 - 17:56

If this is a msi package you are building you can add the ScheduleReboot action to your InstallExecute sequence (or if the action is already there, make sure it's condition is True)
Be careful however to determine whether you want to reboot always whenever your setup runs, including maiontenance operation (repair, modify, update, uninstall)