This is a ready-only archive of the InstallSite Forum. You cannot post any new content here. / Dies ist ein Archiv des InstallSite Forums. Hier können keine neuen Beiträge veröffentlicht werden.
Photo

can overwrite msvcrt.dll?

3 replies to this topic

invincible

invincible
  • Members
  • 28 posts

Posted 17 December 2001 - 13:32

Hello friends
 i have to overwrite the msvcrt.dll file from the setup
into the system directory.I have kept the file in
the locked file group which has a property of
Potentially Locked to "yes".Now in the setup
i am making the user reboot the machine once the setup is complete.I am making this done forcibly through sys_boot... as soon as the user clicks the finish button.Now this was working fine till now but the moment i started taking the msvcrt.dll file in the file group, when the setup completes than automatically the finish dialog box comes with the two options ie.
 - I want to restart my computer
 - I will restart my computer later
Now when i has not included this file only a simple finish box was coming but now this box is coming.
So please tell me what am i supposed to do to remove these options as ultimately i am going to make the user reboot the machine forcibly so i don't want it to make it happen two times.
thank you

Bill K

Bill K
  • Members
  • 21 posts

Posted 17 December 2001 - 14:26

If you want to take total control of the reboot and get rid of the choice at the end, you can either get rid of the SdFinishEx function (and use something else) or use it at the end or set BATCH_INSTALL to FALSE (and then take control) just before SdFinishEx is called.  This has some risk though if the user can get around the reboot sequence you put in.  Also, with Win2000 and XP, you certainly should not have to replace the msvcrt, even if you could, and you probably don't want to force a reboot there.

lasenbby

lasenbby
  • Members
  • 744 posts

Posted 17 December 2001 - 15:18

I think Bill K is on the right track but I think he mean't to write just before the call to sdfinishrebootex, set BATCH_INSTALL to TRUE.  This is what sdfin.. keys off of to determine if a reboot is necessary or not.  (I am a proponent of rebooting always too.  I don't trust IS completely; with good reason if you look at thier bug lists.  The only problem is if your software will be installed on busy servers that admins don't want to reboot unless abolutely necessary.)

(Edited by lasenbby at 2:21 pm on Dec. 17, 2001)

Bill K

Bill K
  • Members
  • 21 posts

Posted 20 December 2001 - 23:25

Sorry if I wasn't clear.  The important part was to "then take control" after setting the BATCH_INSTALL value.  Once when I had to be sure of a re-boot (which I generally avoid like the plague) I did a while loop around the SdFinishEx (after setting BATCH_INSTALL to TRUE) warning the user to reboot, then waited for a yes Reboot Now response.  If No was their answer, they were lead back to the warning and the reboot message again.