This is a ready-only archive of the InstallSite Forum. You cannot post any new content here. / Dies ist ein Archiv des InstallSite Forums. Hier können keine neuen Beiträge veröffentlicht werden.
Photo

Door to Door Build Automation?

4 replies to this topic

wjoconnor

wjoconnor
  • Members
  • 6 posts

Posted 19 April 2002 - 16:13

I have been tasked with attempting to automate the build process in my company.  Currently, with the number of applications and components, the process is very complex and prone to human error.  We have recently purchased InstallShield 7 Developer and we will be converting our IS6 packages to 7.

Does anyone know of a software package that can automate the build process in VB6, VC++ 6 and InstallShield 7?  I've found a utility called FinalBuild, but it doesn't support VC++ or IS7 except through command line.

Any assistance would be very helpful.

Thanks!

dbareis

dbareis
  • Full Members
  • 85 posts

Posted 22 April 2002 - 02:04

Hi,

Anyone using WISE Installer PRO can use my free tool (WISEINST), for more details see PPWIZARD download page at:

http://www.labyrinth...is/ppwizard.htm

Not as good but probably workable solution (also free) for others might be:

http://www.linkcad.c...xml/msi2xml.htm

Bye
Dennis
---
Dennis Bareis (dbareis@No.Spam.gmail.com)
Free MSI update/creation tool (MAKEMSI):
http://users.cyberon...eis/makemsi.htm

Mike Snodgrass

Mike Snodgrass
  • Members
  • 13 posts

Posted 24 April 2002 - 18:51

I have a method that may be a starting point for you.  The only variable here is that I am using ClearCase for source code control and I can use Makefiles rather than batch files for building Visual Studio Projects.  

I have one batch file, called "buildit.bat".
Within this batch file I call the command to build my source code(makefiles), then I call my batchfile that I build the Merge Modules and finally the Installations with.

You can build Visual Studio projects at the command line, whether it be VC++ or VB.  Test a couple of them out, for syntax(use vb6 /?    and    nmake /? ) to see the syntax for each. (nmake being the VC++ builder)  You will need to add the "C:\Program Files\Microsoft Visual Studio\VB98" and "C:\Program Files\Microsoft Visual Studio\VC98\Bin" paths to your environment variables, so vb6.exe and nmake.exe will work.

Once you have the syntax down, try placing them in a batch file and executing the batch file.  That should help with the Visual Studio portion.

As for the Installshield side of the builds, you should be sure that the path for the IsCmBld.exe is in your environment variable as well.  
Here's how a Merge Module would look in the batch file:

@echo Build project.msm
ISCmdBld.exe -p x:\Installer\MergeModules\project.ism -d Product -r  -s -a "WeeklyBuild" -b "x:\installer\mergemodules\bin"

Here's how an Install would look in the batch file:
@echo Build RSBizWareAutoBatch.ism
ISCmdBld.exe -p "X:\Installer\Project.ism" -d "Product" -r "WeeklyBuild" -a "Configuration" -b "X:\Installer\Folder

You may end up with a "Master" batch file that calls 3 or 4 individual batch files.  One for VC++ builds, one for VB6 builds, one for Merge Module Builds, and one for Install Builds.

Best of luck, and once you have it done...it is very nice.  We have the O/S scheduler kick the build off each night and come in the next morning to see that it has successfully completed, or has hit some bumps.

Mike Snodgrass

Mike Snodgrass
  • Members
  • 13 posts

Posted 24 April 2002 - 18:52

Good Luck with your automation!

Ken Gross

Ken Gross
  • Members
  • 14 posts

Posted 12 July 2002 - 20:12

I could send you what I have if you like, it is written in VB.