This is a ready-only archive of the InstallSite Forum. You cannot post any new content here. / Dies ist ein Archiv des InstallSite Forums. Hier können keine neuen Beiträge veröffentlicht werden.
Photo

Trick InstallShield Windows Version?

7 replies to this topic

Kai445

Kai445
  • Members
  • 6 posts

Posted 11 July 2003 - 04:20

I want to install Intervideo's DVDXPack on Windows 2000.

It "requires" Windows XP, but I am very confident that it would work on 2000, but they artificially imposed the XP requirement.

Can someone help me with this?

Thanks, Kai.

Taco Bell

Taco Bell

IS6 Expert

• Moderators
  • 1,281 posts

Posted 12 July 2003 - 06:04

Well this isn't the kind of question we usually answer on here. I therefore must ask why don't you just use an older version of the program? wink.gif

However, I have two ideas. One is this hack program called "Tweak NT" which supposedly will temporarily adjust the version number of an OS, so you can try Googling your way across that. You could also try modifying the registry directly for this same affect. Not sure of the location though, but someone's gonna try and get back to me on that.
user posted image

Kai445

Kai445
  • Members
  • 6 posts

Posted 13 July 2003 - 04:47

K, I'm gonna keep checking back here, and searching the internet.

Tweak NT didnt do it. It only changes between server and pro versions. That would be handy (I have the original NTtune, or whatever, somewhere..).

I'll keep checking back here periodically.

Thanks for your help,
Kai

Taco Bell

Taco Bell

IS6 Expert

• Moderators
  • 1,281 posts

Posted 14 July 2003 - 02:29

Yeah, for some reason I often forget about the registry key in question, but here it is along with the specific values that you'll probably need to apply/override in order to fake out that install:

CODE
Windows Registry Editor Version 5.00

[HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\Microsoft\Windows NT\CurrentVersion]
"ProductName"="Microsoft Windows XP"
"CurrentVersion"="5.1"
"CurrentBuildNumber"="2600"

WARNING: Be sure to _backup_ this area before importing these values, so that later on you can properly restore your system back to normal!!!

Of course I haven't tested this, but these should be the main registry entries, so hope it helps.
user posted image

Kai445

Kai445
  • Members
  • 6 posts

Posted 14 July 2003 - 21:28

Nope, that didn't work.

Any other ideas?

Taco Bell

Taco Bell

IS6 Expert

• Moderators
  • 1,281 posts

Posted 14 July 2003 - 23:00

No. I'm fresh out at the moment. Sorry.
user posted image

Kai445

Kai445
  • Members
  • 6 posts

Posted 15 July 2003 - 03:27

sad.gif

Thanks for your help, and if you do run across anything in the future, please remember me smile.gif.
I'll keep checking back, and if I figure it out, I'll post it here.

-Kai

Perotin

Perotin
  • Full Members
  • 407 posts

Posted 15 July 2003 - 11:09

There is one thing left cool.gif
Get a decompiler, extract the compiled script from the install package, decompile it and check what the OS check does ...
But this night be very confusing, because the decompiler produces code that is not easy to be read ...

The preferred way would be:
a ) buy Windows XP
b ) get the older DVD Software that runs on Win2k
or even
c ) use Intervideo's support

wacko.gif

Edited by Perotin, 15 July 2003 - 11:10.

Gruß / regards
Thomas