This is a ready-only archive of the InstallSite Forum. You cannot post any new content here. / Dies ist ein Archiv des InstallSite Forums. Hier können keine neuen Beiträge veröffentlicht werden.
Photo

Minor Upgrade Not Working Properly

3 replies to this topic

secretsquirrel

secretsquirrel
  • Members
  • 6 posts

Posted 21 March 2002 - 03:19

I am doing a minor upgrade of a program also.
I am building this in Visual Studio Installer and then using Orca to customise the changes. The following are the details

ProductName = "MyProgram" (Unchanged in both Versions)
ProductCode  = Unchanged in both verions
ProductVersion = Old: 1.2.8.0 New: 1.3.0.0
UpgradeCode = Unchanged in both versions.
MSI File Name Unchanged in both versions

I downloaded GUIDGEN and generated a new PackageCode and added it to the summary information of the new msi (I ensured all hex alpha characters where in upercase).

I then used msistuff to put the REINSTALL=ALL REINSTALLMODE=vemus properties in the setup.exe bootstrapper.

When I run this on first time install, all is well. When I try and upgrade an old version install it brings up the Repair/Remove Screen, and is not completing an upgrade of the installation.

What am I doing wrong here guys?

secretsquirrel

secretsquirrel
  • Members
  • 6 posts

Posted 21 March 2002 - 03:29

Forgot to mention that I also made the changes suggested step 1. of the in the Minor and Major Upgrades Html file locate on this site.

That is, I created a custom action called fix_install, of type 51 that set REINSTALL to the value {} if the Not Installed condition evaluted to true before cost finalize is run.

This is why the install works fine when installing v1.3.0 for first time.

But when I try and upgrade v1.2.8 to v 1.3.0 I keep getting the repair/remove screen even though I have done all the things listed above.

So when I try and upgrade a version 1.2.8 install i get the repair/remove dialog, If I select the repair option everything gets updated (icons, support files, content files etc) except the executable file for the main feature. i can't figure out why this might happen. Anyone else have any idea?

Stefan Krueger

Stefan Krueger

InstallSite.org

• Administrators
  • 13,269 posts

Posted 21 March 2002 - 14:59

The upodate is actually a repair, using the new version.
If you don't want to get the Modify dialog you will have to put a condition on it so that it won't be displayed in case of the update.

secretsquirrel

secretsquirrel
  • Members
  • 6 posts

Posted 21 March 2002 - 22:35

Thanks Stefan,
That confirmed a suspicion I had.

One other thing. For some reason the minor upgrade seems to upgrade all files in the feature except the main exeutable. Is there some flag or setting I am missing that could be causing this?

The modified date and the program version (in VB) are both greater than the old version. Could it be a file property or a msiexec command line switch that I need to use other than the ones listed above?

Edit:
If I apply the minor upgrade to the old version it udates all files in the feautre except the main executable file. If I run the program after the initial upgade, then reapply the upgrade, all files get replaced. (Both times I was using properties REINSTALLMODE=vamus REINSTALL=ALL at command line).

Note that it doesn't matter how many times I reapply the update, the exe file will still be the old one. The first time I run the program, the windows installer brings up a progress dialog (as if it is installing an advertised component on first use?). After this happens, if I reapply the update again, the exe installs properly.

I have the verbose log files of both attempts of the upgrade if that will help? But they don't seem to mention anything usefull, then again I don't really know where to look inside them.