This is a ready-only archive of the InstallSite Forum. You cannot post any new content here. / Dies ist ein Archiv des InstallSite Forums. Hier können keine neuen Beiträge veröffentlicht werden.
Photo

ProductCode mismatch between IDE and msi

5 replies to this topic

ConfigControl

ConfigControl
  • Full Members
  • 34 posts

Posted 24 August 2004 - 20:30

I have a InstallShield project that I change the ProductCode in the IDE (using the Generate GUID button) and what appears in the IDE does not make it to the .msi. I found this because I built a Client setup and a Server setup that crashed and the problem was they both had the same ProductCode. I tried recompiling the version. I tried creating new Product Configurations and new releases But when I review the .msi property table the ProductCode is {65A0022E-B51C-41D3-C52FAC403542}. This same ProductCode shows up in both the Client.msi and the Server.msi.

Has anyone seen anything like this. Need Help

I am using DevStudio 9 and these are Basic MSI setups (I do use InstallScript CAs).

Thanks ahead of time.

Jim
ConfigControl

luke_s

luke_s
  • Full Members
  • 532 posts

Posted 24 August 2004 - 23:51

I have never seen this before. Are you sure that you are looking at the correct built msi file??
Maybe your release folder is building to a different location?

What i have seen is that Install Shield sometimes does not save your changes, so maybe it has not really saved the product code change? Try changing the product code, and building the release straight away (using F7)

luke_s

luke_s
  • Full Members
  • 532 posts

Posted 24 August 2004 - 23:52

Also, You should change the package code between versions.

Glytzhkof

Glytzhkof
  • Moderators
  • 1,447 posts

Posted 25 August 2004 - 03:37

Are you sure you are not referring to identical package codes? Having the same product code for two different setups is not forbidded (this is what you do for a minor upgrade). When installing the second product you may get a maintenance mode dialog.

When two setups have identical package code this means that windows installer treats the files as having identical content, regardless of the content of the file. The package guid is a unique file identifier, and should only be similar for identical copies of a setup file.

Hope this makes sense. Open the MSI file in ORCA and check the product code there, don't check it in the properties of the file (you will see the package code here).

Edited by Glytzhkof, 25 August 2004 - 03:37.

Regards
-Stein Åsmul

Stefan Krueger

Stefan Krueger

InstallSite.org

• Administrators
  • 13,269 posts

Posted 25 August 2004 - 08:28

Please check also if you have defined a ProductCode in the Product Configuration settings for the release. This would override the general settings.

ConfigControl

ConfigControl
  • Full Members
  • 34 posts

Posted 25 August 2004 - 19:51

The bizarre behavior was caused by a ProductCode in a Merge Module I included in both the Client and Server setups. I had created the Merge Module by converting it from a InstallShield Windows Installer v2.03 version to DevStudio 9 version. During the conversion the DevStudio 9 version added a property table and added a ProductCode (unbeknownst to me). I don’t think the Merge Module needs the ProductCode so I deleted it from the property table and rebuilt both the Client and Server setups which compiled just fine.

Thanks for the Assistance to All who made suggestions.

Jim

ConfigControl