This is a ready-only archive of the InstallSite Forum. You cannot post any new content here. / Dies ist ein Archiv des InstallSite Forums. Hier können keine neuen Beiträge veröffentlicht werden.
Photo

Add/Remove Programs Icon

3 replies to this topic

eelisdotnet

eelisdotnet
  • Members
  • 24 posts

Posted 25 August 2005 - 14:06

Hi

I have a setup project where I set an icon in the AddRemoveProgramsIcon property. For some strange reason, the icon that shows up in Add/Remove progrms interface is different then the one I set (and not even the default Windows icon).

I checked also the Registry for HKLM\SOFTWARE\Microsoft\Windows\CurrentVersion\Uninstall - and there's no key with the DisplayIcon name for this application. When I add the DisplayIcon key manually with the path to the executable, the icon is displayed as expected in the Add/Remove Programs.

Note also that I tried to set different icons on the setup project properties and there was no change. I also tried to set the icon or the exe manually in Orca's Icon table and then change the value of ARPRODUCTICON in the Property table. Nothing worked out.

I'm quite desperate and all because of a small icon... (well, there are quite many other annoyances with the VS setup project).

Any assistance will be highly appreciated.

p.s. I can still try to set the DisplayIcon registry key during the installation, but then what is the use of the AddRemoveProgramsIcon property ?

Zweitze

Zweitze
  • Full Members
  • 522 posts

Posted 25 August 2005 - 21:14

Windows Installer has a bug when installing for the active user, in which case the icon is not set. Instead you get a (default) 'Folder'-type icon. Try installing for ALLUSERS.
If that doesn't work, try other -simple- icons. Icons consist of multiple images, and in Windows XP new image formats (with blending-gradients) were introduced. However, not all software can handle those new formats - I noticed that programs compiled with Delphi 5 could not display those icons right. So try an icon with just one 32x32x16 image.

eelisdotnet

eelisdotnet
  • Members
  • 24 posts

Posted 26 August 2005 - 08:12

Thanks Zweitze

It was definitely the known bug that caused it.

FrankSpierings

FrankSpierings
  • Members
  • 22 posts

Posted 01 September 2005 - 15:01

I wouldn't normally change the ALLUSERS value for this sort of actions (since this influences a lot of settings). U could try to manually edit the registry (...\Microsoft\Installer\Products\[ProductCode]), to insert the right icon. This can be done by installing the package and then modify the registry entry, which specifies this icon. When u succeed, u can manually add this registry key to the project (use [productcode]).

Hope this helps some more.