This is a ready-only archive of the InstallSite Forum. You cannot post any new content here. / Dies ist ein Archiv des InstallSite Forums. Hier können keine neuen Beiträge veröffentlicht werden.
Photo

Different file versions reported as not different

1 reply to this topic

Tonko

Tonko
  • Full Members
  • 4 posts

Posted 26 April 2008 - 02:42

I am creating MCP file from PCP and I get warnings that file versions are not different while the files themselves are different.

However the versions of the files in question are different as I can clearly see in Explorer via Properties dialog, Details tab. Also, I know that versions are different because I made them different!

When I apply the patch and check versions of patched files (again using Explorer Properties dialog) I see them changed from the original installation.

So, what does cause this warning?

Normally I wouldn't care too much since applying the first patch appears to be successfull and I see patched binaries having new file versions as expected.

However, I am having problems applying patches upon patches (to be discussed in another post) so I guess figuring out this version warning mistery may help.

Thanks!

[EDIT] I can't confirm it right now but the cause may be in modifying only the last (4th) version number which is probably ignored.

Edited by Tonko, 26 April 2008 - 07:24.

Stefan Krueger

Stefan Krueger

InstallSite.org

• Administrators
  • 13,269 posts

Posted 28 April 2008 - 22:12

There's some confusion about the fourth field in version numbers. I'll try to clarify:
  • Windows Installer ignores the fourth field of the ProductVersion (only!)
  • Windows Installer uses all four fields when comparing file versions
So the ProductVersion is the only version number where the fourth field is ignored. However, some validation tool authors mis-interpreted the documentation. Believing that the fourth field is always ignored they added a warning if a file version is only incremented in the fourth field. Such warnings are false and can safely be ignored (if you ruled out any other causes for this warning)