This is a ready-only archive of the InstallSite Forum. You cannot post any new content here. / Dies ist ein Archiv des InstallSite Forums. Hier können keine neuen Beiträge veröffentlicht werden.
Photo

Removing MY Files from \System32 on Uninstall??

6 replies to this topic

cmahood

cmahood
  • Members
  • 28 posts

Posted 14 July 2004 - 21:59

During installation, I successfully copy some new .sys files to the /system32 directory. However, on uninstall, they are not removed.

How can I have the installer remove these files?

I have already adjusted the options in "properties" for these files and have not found any options that work.

It seems the system will not allow an installer to remove files from sys32 even if the installer put them there!

Any help appreciated.

Glytzhkof

Glytzhkof
  • Moderators
  • 1,447 posts

Posted 15 July 2004 - 04:16

Why are you installing them to the sys folder in the first place? Should they really be there? If you can install them somewhere else without losing functionality you should move them to your main application directory (unless there is a reason why they should be shared with other applications).

Edited by Glytzhkof, 15 July 2004 - 04:17.

Regards
-Stein Åsmul

cmahood

cmahood
  • Members
  • 28 posts

Posted 15 July 2004 - 14:39

They are for a vendor's device driver. They instructed us to copy them there as part of the installation process.

Can anyone answer the QUESTION please rather than attempting to police our install? biggrin.gif

Thank You

Stefan Krueger

Stefan Krueger

InstallSite.org

• Administrators
  • 13,269 posts

Posted 15 July 2004 - 21:06

I believe that files copied to the system folder are seen as system files (or at least as shared files) and are never uninstalled by MSI. You could use the RemoveFile table to work around this.

Glytzhkof

Glytzhkof
  • Moderators
  • 1,447 posts

Posted 16 July 2004 - 11:21

Setting a component installed to the system folder as permanent is a requirement for logo complicance as far as I know. And I am no setup police smile.gif, just out to help you.
Regards
-Stein Åsmul

cmahood

cmahood
  • Members
  • 28 posts

Posted 16 July 2004 - 19:04

QUOTE (Stefan Krueger @ 2004-07-15 21:06)
I believe that files copied to the system folder are seen as system files (or at least as shared files) and are never uninstalled by MSI. You could use the RemoveFile table to work around this.

Thanks!

luke_s

luke_s
  • Full Members
  • 532 posts

Posted 19 July 2004 - 07:36

It is possible that the component has been set as permanent because you have set the directory to the system folder. You should check this setting first, and then the component is not permanent, use the RemoveFiles table as Stefan has suggested smile.gif