This is a ready-only archive of the InstallSite Forum. You cannot post any new content here. / Dies ist ein Archiv des InstallSite Forums. Hier können keine neuen Beiträge veröffentlicht werden.
Photo

ActiveX Control in Web Page

1 reply to this topic

straw.bale

straw.bale
  • Members
  • 1 posts

Posted 29 October 2002 - 16:12

I've got an ActiveX control created in VB that is embedded in a web page :

<OBJECT CLASSID="CLSID:75C3.... CODEBASE="myocx.cab#version=1,4,0,94">
</OBJECT>

I have been creating my CABs using the VS6.0 Package & Deployment Wizard but have hit a problem on Win2K machines : namely, users do not have permissions to write to System32, which the setup needs to do as that's where it puts the VB runtime (among other things).  So, in my investigations, I discovered that I can package it as an MSI package, publish it in the Active Directory and then it will install with elevated privileges.  Having read Q241163 (how to publish activex controls in windows 2000 using intellimirror) I embarked on creating an MSI package for my control using InstallShield for Windows Installer 1.1.  I created the package succesfully and changed the object tag to :

<OBJECT CLASSID="CLSID:75C3.... CODEBASE="myocx.msi#version=1,4,0,94">
</OBJECT>

but IE only downloaded the MSI and didn't run it to install it.

I've spent nearly two weeks scouring the KB, the Web, MSDN and forums for information on how to install ActiveX controls using Windows Installer to no avail.  Can someone ppplllleeeaassee help me out ?

TIA,
Wayne.

hlo

hlo
  • Members
  • 1 posts

Posted 14 December 2002 - 03:59

Did you do something with Active Directory inorder to make the download off a web page? From my experience, you cannot download anything as a regular User in Win2K.

If you publish it in Active Directory, the MSI package usually resides on the network somewhere and it is advertised to the user. Its not the same as downloading from a remote website in the traditional way of the VB ActiveX control.

My other experiment proves that you will have to package the MSI inside a CAB file. In the .inf file [Add Code], have the MSI file. In one of the section, you put in the msiexec command line. There is some postings in Google groups on this, and that is where I got the steps.

However a regular User in Win2K cannot write to the "Downloaded Program Files", and this is where the CAB has to be unpacked. Therefore you are still out of luck. Some registry hacks in HKLM permissions will be required to get this area opened.

If you have a better idea, I'll like to know about it!!