This is a ready-only archive of the InstallSite Forum. You cannot post any new content here. / Dies ist ein Archiv des InstallSite Forums. Hier können keine neuen Beiträge veröffentlicht werden.
Photo

ADO dlls getting unregistered

4 replies to this topic

Kameshwari

Kameshwari
  • Members
  • 2 posts

Posted 09 April 2001 - 09:30

I'm registering ADO dlls as part of the setup thru IS5.1.I have set the properties for the dlls as Self-registered and Shared too.I'm also enabling corecomponent handling. But when I uninstall the application on win 2000 server, the ADO dlls are getting unregistered.This problem isn't occuring in Win Nt 4.0.
I have read in the Help that corecomp.ini has the list of files that won't be unregistered. Does my problem have anything to do with this?Should I get a later version of corecomp.ini?If so can anyone provide the details regarding that?

Blake Miller Wonder

Blake Miller Wonder
  • Members
  • 121 posts

Posted 09 April 2001 - 23:58

You could always add the ADO files to your CoreComp.Ini yourself.  Just marking them as shared and registering them means that if yours is the only application that needs them, they will get uninstalled when your application is uninstalled as well.  I usually create a separate setup for files like that and disable all the logging and uninstallation routines.  Then the system-related files like ADO stay on the end user's computer.

Kameshwari

Kameshwari
  • Members
  • 2 posts

Posted 10 April 2001 - 05:55

Thanks, Blake. But I have just come to know that the dlls listed in corecomp.ini are only those that are in windows\system directory. But I put the ADO dlls in \Program files\Common files\System\ADO\ since that's where the ADO dlls reside. Apart from a separate setup,is there any other solution to this?
Thanks.

Blake Miller Wonder

Blake Miller Wonder
  • Members
  • 121 posts

Posted 10 April 2001 - 22:18

You could try to create a secondary media for the ADO files.  Using the file transfer functions, you can then transfer the ADO files separately from the files of your main application.  You can Disable(LOGGING) while transfering these files and performing their registry or other logged operations, so that they will not be uninstalled as part of your application uninstall.

Another option is to leave the ADO files uncompressed onto your CD-ROM and copy them using regular file copy commands, or the file copy commands of InstallScript with the logging disabled.  That will get the files onto your end user's computer.  Make any registry entries or perform file registration using InstallScript calls and running RegSvr32.Exe.  Make sure to keep logging disabled while doing this.