This is a ready-only archive of the InstallSite Forum. You cannot post any new content here. / Dies ist ein Archiv des InstallSite Forums. Hier können keine neuen Beiträge veröffentlicht werden.
Photo

Patch - Update - old *.msi file needed, why ?

1 reply to this topic

Twor

Twor
  • Members
  • 5 posts

Posted 29 October 2001 - 15:03

I use ISWI 1.50

My application has versions 1.00 and 1.01.
I made a patch from 1.00 to 1.01 . When I install version 1.00 from Network or hard disk (and don't delete it) patch works fine.
But I want my patch to upgrade correctly also when I installed 1.00 from CD.
Patch wants *.msi file from version 1.00 , is it possible to create a patch which doesn't need the old msi file ?
I'd like to install 1.00 from CD and put patch on WWW, I don't want my clients to put CD with 1.00 version when they patch to 1.01.

best regards
Piotr Tworowski

BugFarmer

BugFarmer
  • Members
  • 9 posts

Posted 04 November 2001 - 08:45

This is just a guess, but it sounds related...

I am researching using the IS 7.0 patch mechanism or RTPatch, and I stumbled across the following(on this site):

Patching Requires Original Installation Source
Description:
While applying a patch (.msp file) you will be prompted to insert the original installation CD. This should not be required since the original msi file is cached on the local hard drive.
Workarounds:
None.
Microsoft has confirmed that this is a bug in Windows Installer 1.1 and is scheduled for correction in Windows Installer 1.5. See Microsoft knowledge base article Q268800.

Maybe they did not get it for 1.5...

Hope that helps...