This is a ready-only archive of the InstallSite Forum. You cannot post any new content here. / Dies ist ein Archiv des InstallSite Forums. Hier können keine neuen Beiträge veröffentlicht werden.
Photo

Upgrade install from source

3 replies to this topic

PaulDeveloper

PaulDeveloper
  • Members
  • 28 posts

Posted 11 March 2003 - 18:21

We are using a standard project in 7.04.

Some of our users will want to run the application from source; the source files will be on a server, and they will install locally using ADDSOURCE=ALL.  This means they just get the shortcut on their desktop; the only files we are installing locally are the merge modules.

I'm trying to work out how we would upgrade the application in future.  If it's just a change to a file, simply overwriting the source files with the new ones seems to work fine.  It's the same for changes like adding a feature which is a new component, where that component is run from source also.

The story is different if the new version requires extra merge modules to be installed locally.  In this case, I've found that overwriting the source files with the new ones does not work.  No extra dlls are installed locally, so the upgraded application will not run.

I'm sure that we could tell our users to uninstall the old application, then reinstall from source. Does anyone know if there is a better way of doing it?

Regards

Zardoz

Zardoz
  • Members
  • 8 posts

Posted 06 February 2004 - 04:51

You need to at least force a repair on the local machine to "reinstall" the new features and components.

PaulDeveloper

PaulDeveloper
  • Members
  • 28 posts

Posted 20 April 2004 - 16:54

I have found that if you change the package code (which you must), and overwrite the setup files on the network, and repair on the client, then the setup that is actually run is the one that gets cached locally on your machine.

The problem here is that if you change the class id of a dll, then it tries to register the old class id with the new dll, and you get an error 1911.

Glytzhkof

Glytzhkof
  • Moderators
  • 1,447 posts

Posted 20 May 2004 - 05:01

Does it work if you force reinstall of all files by setting REINSTALLMODE? Use amus for example?

http://msdn.microsof...de_property.asp
Regards
-Stein Åsmul