This is a ready-only archive of the InstallSite Forum. You cannot post any new content here. / Dies ist ein Archiv des InstallSite Forums. Hier können keine neuen Beiträge veröffentlicht werden.
Photo

Install Automation

4 replies to this topic

mayur_bm

mayur_bm
  • Full Members
  • 17 posts

Posted 09 August 2007 - 07:44

iam creating a custom Install Automation tool which runs chain of installers one after the another. here iam giving enough delay for each installation to complete,
followed by next ones.i tried installation log based decision of installation completion, but application genrates random install log name, so i cant use that method.

iam not getting any other method to track down installation completion, any method can you suggest me which i can used to monitor installation completion and go ahead with that mehod.

Zweitze

Zweitze
  • Full Members
  • 522 posts

Posted 09 August 2007 - 10:00

Try MsiInstallProduct()
Make sure to test its return value, it may indicate that you must reboot before advancing to the next install.

mayur_bm

mayur_bm
  • Full Members
  • 17 posts

Posted 10 August 2007 - 04:09

One More concern: my installer has external setup.exe which launches MSI. if i run
that MSIInstallProduct with the setup.exe and its silent install arguments, iam getting system exceptions.
i cannt launch the MSI directly in my Product, i have to launch it through externals setup.exe.
but i unable to use this setup.exe in MSIInstallProduct API...

Zweitze

Zweitze
  • Full Members
  • 522 posts

Posted 10 August 2007 - 11:59

The program you are creating is a replacement for setup.exe, inside your setup.exe you call MsiInstallProduct for every MSI, detecting reboots after every call.
If you insist on starting setup.exe for every install contact the creators of every setup.exe to ask how to detect failure, cancel, reboot etc. since everybody tends to do his own implementation.

m.nouryan

m.nouryan
  • Full Members
  • 23 posts

Posted 10 August 2007 - 17:10

You may also use ShellExecute to run msiexec.exe and install your child installations.

If you want to use InstallShield to create the master installation, you may use the ShellExecute functions in a script OR have “Lunch another .msi package” custom actions to lunch your installations.