This is a ready-only archive of the InstallSite Forum. You cannot post any new content here. / Dies ist ein Archiv des InstallSite Forums. Hier können keine neuen Beiträge veröffentlicht werden.
Photo

Custom Action - msi type 38 = Internal Error 2738

2 replies to this topic

wysiwyg

wysiwyg
  • Members
  • 1 posts

Posted 06 August 2002 - 15:36

Hi,

I have a CA that has some VBscript. It has been running fine. However, I just formatted and re-install the OS (WintNT 4.0 sp6a) and when trying to run setup.exe (standard project) I get a Internal Error 2738. This error means it cant find the script associated with the CA. Here is a snippet from the log file:
MSI (s) (83:80): Doing action: CAVB
Action start 10:10:14: CAVB.
MSI (s) (83:80): Creating MSIHANDLE (12) of type 790542 for thread 128
MSI (s) (83:80): Creating MSIHANDLE (13) of type 0 for thread 128
DEBUG: Error 2738: Could not access VBScript runtime for custom action
Internal Error 2738.
MSI (s) (83:80): Product: test -- Internal Error 2738.

Has anyone any idea whats going on? I have the script 'as a part of the CA'. Also, even before I reformated the OS, it was a cleanly installed machine.

hambone

hambone
  • Members
  • 206 posts

Posted 06 August 2002 - 17:25

do you have the necessary files required to run the scripts ?  

try running the scripts, or another VBScript file, external to the msi ( say via the command line ) and see if they run...

hteichert

hteichert
  • Members
  • 158 posts

Posted 27 August 2002 - 10:11

A clean NT4 with SP6a doesn't contain the scripting engine. It still runs IE V2.0! To run your scripts you have two possibilities:
- install IE V5.0 or higher
- get scripting host from Microsoft Scripting Homepage

That does only help on your machine. You still don't know, if there's the scripting host installed on the customers machine. It's a good idea to check for the existance of the scripting host in the beginning of your setup. Use AppSearch, DrLocator and Signature tables to find scripting host. Me, I'm looking for VBScript.dll with a minimum version of 5.0.0.0 and if AppSearch doesn't find it, I quit the setup with an error message describing the missing components.

For info about searching for existing applications look in the windows installer documentation and search for "Searching for Existing Applications, Files, Registry Entries or .ini File Entries"
h.teichert-ott