This is a ready-only archive of the InstallSite Forum. You cannot post any new content here. / Dies ist ein Archiv des InstallSite Forums. Hier können keine neuen Beiträge veröffentlicht werden.
Photo

Patching installscript installation with MSI

1 reply to this topic

Bomkia

Bomkia
  • Members
  • 1 posts

Posted 27 August 2005 - 22:55

Basically, the situation is the following, I have an older installation of my program made in InstallScript. I have now migrated to a Basic MSI install completely, using no Installscript at all.

The question is then:

Is it possible, to in any reasonable fashion create an MSI release that will either just install itself if there is no previous version, OR, update an existing version, that was installed by my old Installscript based installation.

So: Installscript-based installation to be patched by a new Basic MSI installation.

Also, doing this while still maintaining a single .msi

Stefan Krueger

Stefan Krueger

InstallSite.org

• Administrators
  • 13,269 posts

Posted 29 August 2005 - 16:03

You could either add a custom action to your MSI project that would first uninstall the old version, then install the new version (similar to a Major Upgrade).
Or you could install your MSI project to the same folder as your InstallScript setup, thus overwriting and updating older files. In this case you should also add a custom action that deletes the uninstall registry entry of the old version.