This is a ready-only archive of the InstallSite Forum. You cannot post any new content here. / Dies ist ein Archiv des InstallSite Forums. Hier können keine neuen Beiträge veröffentlicht werden.
Photo

Patches not working

2 replies to this topic

ianmw7

ianmw7
  • Members
  • 55 posts

Posted 30 September 2002 - 16:47

After a long discussion with IS support, it seems that it is not possible to make a patch if the two versions have different product codes. This despite the fact the the patch wizard allows product codes to differ, the documentation says they can, both courses I have attended have taught that you can, and so do the articles to which I was directed by IS support.

However, I was told that "after consultation with a senior engineer", it appears that you can't. So it appears that all versions since 2.03 have included this erroneous information, and IS have never bothered to correct the patch wizard.

Does anyone else have comments about this? Are we surprised?
Ian Murray-Watson

Stefan Krueger

Stefan Krueger

InstallSite.org

• Administrators
  • 13,269 posts

Posted 01 October 2002 - 09:53

If the product code changes this is a major upgrade. According to MSI docs from MS it should be possible to distribute a major upgrade as patch. However according to the bugs bulletin here on InstallSite this doesn't work with InstallShield, and the official position of InstallShield is that it's not possible (unless someone provides a working sample of a major upgrade patch)

ianmw7

ianmw7
  • Members
  • 55 posts

Posted 01 October 2002 - 11:00

Thanks, Stefan. Sorry - I usually check the groups first but yeaterday didn't have time.
Ian Murray-Watson