This is a ready-only archive of the InstallSite Forum. You cannot post any new content here. / Dies ist ein Archiv des InstallSite Forums. Hier können keine neuen Beiträge veröffentlicht werden.
Photo

Msi Re-installes unless users is Admin

1 reply to this topic

james_95

james_95
  • Members
  • 2 posts

Posted 27 June 2002 - 21:22

This problem only seems to happen with packages that we have created with the Veritas Discover program. We have packages made for programs such as Winzip, Acrobat, Vscan...etc. Running XP Pro on the clients.

When a user logs into the computer and clicks on the program the Windows Installer runs and the progress bar goes through its thing. The program then opens and the user can use it but if they close the program and reopen it the Windows Installer starts again and reinstalls the program. If I elevate the user to a Domain or Local Admin the user does not have this problem. After setting up Logging I found that there are certain files that are trying to be written to the Windows and System32 directories\subdirectories and the standard users do not have rights to these locations.

How can I make these packages work without giving the users Admin rights?

Thanks,
James

hambone

hambone
  • Members
  • 206 posts

Posted 15 July 2002 - 12:19

one method is to set and un-set the local system policies for the computer.  

once set, the user ( read client ) makes requests to the msi service ( read server ).  when these requests are executed they will run with the elevated system privileges.  this process can be accomplished either at the gpo level or the local workstation using an account with local admin privileges.  

as an admin set the following registry key:

[HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\Software\Policies\Microsoft\Windows\Installer]
"AlwaysInstallElevated"=dword:00000001

then for each user that requires the ability to add products with elevated privileges add the following to their registry hive:

[HKEY_CURRENT_USER\Software\Policies\Microsoft\Windows\Installer]
"AlwaysInstallElevated"=dword:00000001

now when an mis client request is made to the msi service it will install with sufficient privileges...  if you are managing a secure environment you will want to disable this for non-sanctioned use.