This is a ready-only archive of the InstallSite Forum. You cannot post any new content here. / Dies ist ein Archiv des InstallSite Forums. Hier können keine neuen Beiträge veröffentlicht werden.
Photo

Installshield Basic MSI help

5 replies to this topic

vtx

vtx
  • Full Members
  • 3 posts

Posted 14 December 2008 - 13:32

Hi all,

Sorry im being newbie at this, i tried out installshield pro. Created a basic msi project. I want to package some exe files to msi. But when i built the msi after adding the files, and tried running it. It just installs as a shortcut to the msi file. Is there anyway i can invoke the installation to start once i doubleclick the msi file?

Thanks in advance for any help smile.gif

vijayakumar

vijayakumar
  • Full Members
  • 43 posts

Posted 15 December 2008 - 09:36

Is there anyway i can invoke the installation to start once i doubleclick the msi file?

Hi,

Not sure what dou you mean by this stmt? This is the default behavior of msi. If you have added any components (files), then msi will install them, provided if conditions are met, if any.

How did you add the files to the msi?

vtx

vtx
  • Full Members
  • 3 posts

Posted 15 December 2008 - 17:22

ok let me rephrase this. I have these application files,

EraserSetup32.exe
EraserSetup32.msi
EraserSetup32.res
mia.lib

I wanna package all of them up into a MSI file using installshield 2009, so i can push it down to a pc and install it silently. Somehow it only creates a directory when the packaged msi runs. I want to invoke the erasersetup32.exe directly. Can this be done? or i have to seperately use a batch file to start that erasersetup32.exe?

Thanks again smile.gif

N Thomas

N Thomas
  • Full Members
  • 9 posts

Posted 16 December 2008 - 09:42

I am not sure if you are using any of the deployement methods or just installing the package manually.And not clear when you want erasersetup32.exe to be invoked.If you want it to be invoked at the end of installation, then write a Custom Action to execute this exe.But if you are not comfortable with this, just add a run key in the package.

[HKEY_CURRENT_USER\Software\Microsoft\Windows\CurrentVersion\Run]
"Runerasersetup32" = "<Path where erasersetup32.exe will get installed to>"

This will make erasersetup32.exe to be invoked each time the user logs in to the machine.

vtx

vtx
  • Full Members
  • 3 posts

Posted 19 December 2008 - 06:21

Hi, thanks for the reply.

I actually want to deploy the msi out using IBM tivoli provisioning manager. Hence i need to invoke the setup.exe file once i push out the msi package. In another words, i want the msi package to launch the setup file immediately after execution. Can this be done?

smile.gif

vijayakumar

vijayakumar
  • Full Members
  • 43 posts

Posted 19 December 2008 - 12:07

i want the msi package to launch the setup file immediately after execution

By this you mean, you want the setup.exe (which is installed with the application) to be launched after INSTALLATION? If so, yes it is possible.

In the Finish event in SetupCompleteSuccess Dialog, you can add an event to trigger this setup.exe.

Hope this helps.