This is a ready-only archive of the InstallSite Forum. You cannot post any new content here. / Dies ist ein Archiv des InstallSite Forums. Hier können keine neuen Beiträge veröffentlicht werden.
Photo

Repackaging Problems

4 replies to this topic

DavidF

DavidF
  • Members
  • 7 posts

Posted 05 September 2001 - 18:22

While testing the evaluation edition for repackaging Adobe Acrobat Reader 5.0 for XP there seems to be a problem importing the reg data , namely HKCR. The ICE error 33 generates many warnings eg ICE33WarningReg key Registry1186 is used in in an unsupported way. ProgId should be registered via the ProgId table ....and many others but there doesn't seem to be a way to find Registry1186 key? Can anyone direct me on how to find the reg entry that's cauding the problem and possible remedies? Thanks

James

James
  • Members
  • 10 posts

Posted 06 September 2001 - 00:14

Hi David, If you download the Microsoft Windows Installer SDK , It will install a tool called Orca. This will let you open up and edit the MSI tables much better than in Admin Studio. It will even let you search all the tables(which is exactly what u want i think). I am repackaging Acrobat 5 for win2k at the moment and have not had a similiar problem FYI.

Hope this helps
James

DavidF

DavidF
  • Members
  • 7 posts

Posted 06 September 2001 - 09:15

Thanks James , Orca does the trick. Now on to the messy task of cleaning up the database!

ewwallace

ewwallace
  • Members
  • 20 posts

Posted 27 February 2003 - 15:08

Some of those ICE warnings are gonna be alright. it just takes some experience and some research to figure out which ones are actually problems and which ones are gonna be alright. To support this, open up just about any Micro$oft-provided MSI and validate it against the MSI SDK Internal Consistency--you'll find dozens of warnings and such, and yet even M$ knows that the programs will install just fine.

In your case, the "Registry key is used in an unsupported way; _ table" are very common, especially for setup captures. However, you know what happens if you recreate all those entries in the other table? The installer just puts them in the exact same registry keys which you had originally! Save yourself some sweat and let those warning messages alone.

~eric

hambone

hambone
  • Members
  • 206 posts

Posted 25 April 2003 - 14:05

i have looked at over fifty industry msis and you will certainly find a lot of problems out there. i have included the breakdown of the following MS MSIs. the first number relates to the PkgRatio ( as supplied from the PkgRatio.MSI, which is basically a numerical representation of the relative complexitiy of the MSI based on the number and type of tables in the MSI ).

the follwoing numbers relate to Errors, Warnings, and Informational messages in each...

MS Access MS Excel MS FrontPage MS Outlook MS Powerpoint MS Word
32411 32400 32396 32400 32402 32400

23 34 34 34 32 34
1534 1534 1534 1534 1534 1534
307 307 307 307 307 307

hih...

weeeeeelllllllll, it looks like i am going to lose the formatting on post.... i know it is strange to see that the warnings and info. msgs are the same for all products but i can assure you that this is accurate...

Edited by hambone, 25 April 2003 - 14:05.