This is a ready-only archive of the InstallSite Forum. You cannot post any new content here. / Dies ist ein Archiv des InstallSite Forums. Hier können keine neuen Beiträge veröffentlicht werden.
Photo

Upgrade version for Standard Project

4 replies to this topic

Thilak

Thilak
  • Members
  • 9 posts

Posted 17 October 2001 - 15:55

We are facing an un-resolved problem like this :-

We have a standard project in which we created the first version of out product.  Now we need to support an upgraded version of the same product with modified files and new files.  We are not able to succeed in sending the upgrade version to our customer.

The second (minor) version gives problem like this :-
1) Identical product, upgrade and package codes:
 Goes into maintenance mode, and new files are not installed.  (new files are part of existing component).

2) Changed the package code alone:
 Setup comes out saying can not install.

3) Changed both the package and product codes:
 Installs again as a new product installation.

Please help us in solving this problem.

Thanks in advance.
-Thilak with regards.

Stefan Krueger

Stefan Krueger

InstallSite.org

• Administrators
  • 13,269 posts

Posted 18 October 2001 - 07:12

1) is wrong - you must always change the package code.

2) is the way to go. However in a Basic MSI project you would have to use REINSTALL and REINSTALLMODE as documented here on InstallSite under Windows Installer -> Tools & Tips -> Upgrades and Patches. I haven't tried this for a Standard Project though. The alternative would be creating a patch.

3) This is also possible but would be a Major Upgrade. You would have to fill in the Upgrade table (in Direct Editor) to make sure the old product is removed.

clintonk

clintonk
  • Members
  • 7 posts

Posted 03 December 2001 - 21:43

According to the docs, Stefan is right, option #2 is correct.  But, that doesn't seem to work for my standard project.

If I update the package code and version number only, and then run the resulting setup, I get error -1628 with the following in the verbose output log:

=== Verbose logging started: 12/3/2001  14:33:13  Build type: SHIP UNICODE 2.00.2600.00  Calling process: C:\PROGRA~1\COMMON~1\INSTAL~1\Driver\7\INTEL3~1\IDriver.exe ===
Another version of this product is already installed.  Installation of this version cannot continue.  To configure or remove the existing version of this product, use Add/Remove Programs on the Control Panel.
{EE94A40F-2489-4727-B8F7-1A950EC3FB9A}
=== Verbose logging stopped: 12/3/2001  14:33:13 ===

If I uninstall using Add/Remove Programs, then the newer setup works fine.  But I don't want to have to do that!  Can anyone tell us how to get a minor upgrade in a standard project to work without doing a manual uninstall first?  This seems like an ISD7 bug.

Thanks,
Clinton Knight

Stefan Krueger

Stefan Krueger

InstallSite.org

• Administrators
  • 13,269 posts

Posted 04 December 2001 - 22:17

It appears that InstallShield has accepted this as a bug: "Currently if you change the package code in a standard project and attempt a minor upgrade, it will not work.  The only work around currently is to leave the package code unchanged"

leslieh

leslieh
  • Members
  • 9 posts

Posted 10 January 2002 - 00:23

if leave package code unchanged, there is no upgrade = exisisting files are not overwritten. It seems like it's running the previous cached version