This is a ready-only archive of the InstallSite Forum. You cannot post any new content here. / Dies ist ein Archiv des InstallSite Forums. Hier können keine neuen Beiträge veröffentlicht werden.
Photo

InstallShield Express 5

1 reply to this topic

TPhan

TPhan
  • Members
  • 1 posts

Posted 19 November 2004 - 16:52

I just created a simple setup file with a vbscript in custom action to set the REINSTALLMODE property. The VBscrpt looks like this:
'Setting a Property
Sub SetAProperty_a
Session.Property("REINSTALLMODE")="amus"
End Sub

'Getting a Property
Sub GetAProperty_a
dim getStringVal
getStringVal= Session.Property("REINSTALLMODE")
End Sub

And everytime when I run the setup, a "files in use" box pop up and it requires me to close all the opening applications/programs(like NotePad, internet Explorer, Microsoft outlook etc) because it said it has to update some files....

However, If I don't include that VBscript in the custom action and run the setup, It doesn't ask me to close all applications.
OK. Here is my question:
Does anyone know what files do they want to update? I just set the property of REINSTALLMODE, how come they need to update a file?
Also, is there a way to bypass the "Files in Use"?
Thanks.

Stefan Krueger

Stefan Krueger

InstallSite.org

• Administrators
  • 13,269 posts

Posted 20 November 2004 - 17:48

"a" means "overwrite all files, regardless of version". This also applies to system files that you may be installing, and thet may be in use by notepad etc. "a" is a very dangerous setting as it could cause a downgrade of system files, thus damaging the operating system. It should be avoided.