This is a ready-only archive of the InstallSite Forum. You cannot post any new content here. / Dies ist ein Archiv des InstallSite Forums. Hier können keine neuen Beiträge veröffentlicht werden.
Photo

Launch App and Wait

2 replies to this topic

shotsy247

shotsy247
  • Members
  • 4 posts

Posted 20 December 2004 - 19:11

For starters I'm a total newb to IS. I'm working in ISPro 6.3.

I have a bunch of installers that I want to create a wrapper for. The end user would launch a Flash front end from a CD. The Flash front end would ask which applications the user wanted to install. Then would launch the wrapper installer and pass it the variables of which apps to install.

How do I get the variables from Flash into IS?

Does anyone know of any tutorials that might help me along? I know of the tutorial found in IS help, but that one was very basic and involved installing an application. What I want to do is create an installer that doesn't install anything, rather it just calls installers that will install the apps.

Thanks for any help you can give me. I understand what I am asking is very broad and basic.

_t

Stefan Krueger

Stefan Krueger

InstallSite.org

• Administrators
  • 13,269 posts

Posted 21 December 2004 - 09:48

You could pass these data on the command line and retrieve them in your script from the CMDLINE system variable.

shotsy247

shotsy247
  • Members
  • 4 posts

Posted 21 December 2004 - 18:26

Stefan,

Thank you for the reply.

So here is where I am at. At present I am searching to see if Flash can send variables to the command line. Flash can't send variables to an exe due to security concerns, but there may be some odd way or utility that can get around this...I'm looking into or perhaps someone on this board knows of a way they could share.

Alternatly, if I can;t find a way for Flash to send a variable, I could just create a bat file for each install. The issue I run into here is, can Installshield create and write to a txt file at a predetermined location, such as C:/. Or could this be done with a bat file that is called once an install is complete or there was an error?

Then I would have Flash look to the location where the text file was created to check if the install is done or there was an error. If the install finished Flash could then call the next bat file and start the next install.

Or this may be an overly complex solution and someone out there knows of an easier way.

Thank you for your time.

*edit* Ok so I have found that using Utility programs, such as the one found here:

http://www.northcode.com

Flash can pass variables to exe's.

...just in case anyone else is trying the same thing.

_t

Edited by shotsy247, 22 December 2004 - 18:09.