This is a ready-only archive of the InstallSite Forum. You cannot post any new content here. / Dies ist ein Archiv des InstallSite Forums. Hier können keine neuen Beiträge veröffentlicht werden.
Photo

Remote network install

1 reply to this topic

ConfigControl

ConfigControl
  • Full Members
  • 34 posts

Posted 01 May 2006 - 12:54

I have a program that will require a remote installation of a registered dll. I will be asking the user for the computer name but I am not sure how to install and register the file once I have the remote computer name. Is this possible?

Thanks,

ConfigControl

Zweitze

Zweitze
  • Full Members
  • 522 posts

Posted 01 May 2006 - 21:10

It is possible using a technology called WMI (Windows Management Instrumentation). This requires that both the local and remote computer have Windows 2000 or higher.
Using the Win32_Process object, you can start a process on a remote computer. You can use Regsvr32.exe to start the registration of a COM server. Make sure that the DLL/EXE resides on that (remote) computer too, which can be tricky.
As an alternative: pack the COM server in an MSI package, and install that using the Win32_Product object.

WMI is quite easy, but the security aspects require that you test many different configurations, like domains with/without Kerberos, workgroups etc.

BTW: Regardless you use WMI or something else, you should also ask for a valid user name, domain and password for the remote computer.