This is a ready-only archive of the InstallSite Forum. You cannot post any new content here. / Dies ist ein Archiv des InstallSite Forums. Hier können keine neuen Beiträge veröffentlicht werden.
Photo

Checking for XP SP3

1 reply to this topic

abernardo

abernardo
  • Full Members
  • 1 posts

Posted 21 July 2008 - 22:29

I'm creating an installer that lays down and launches a Homegrown VB app. Works fine but now needs to check for instance of XP SP3. Created Custom Action that looks for ServicePackLevel<3. Launches wrapped SP3 exe. I need to know how to look for the SP3 exe in SourceDir or SETUPEXEDIR. Keep getting 1721 error.
Any help is appreciated.
Thanks!

Stefan Krueger

Stefan Krueger

InstallSite.org

• Administrators
  • 13,269 posts

Posted 22 July 2008 - 13:16

Are you trying to install SP3 for Windows XP with your setup? I see some problems with this approach:
  • Third party packages like Internet Explorer shouldn't be installed using a custom action, but using a prerequisite.
  • In genenral, operating system service packs shouldn't be installed by an application setup.
  • Do you have permission from Microsoft to redistribute SP3 for XP?
Instead, I'd recommend you add a launch condition that checks the service pack level (only if the setup is running on XP) and exits with an error message if SP3 isn't found.
BTW does your application really require SP3? I'd be interested to know which new or modified functionality in SP3 is required so that your application doesn't work on XP SP2.