This is a ready-only archive of the InstallSite Forum. You cannot post any new content here. / Dies ist ein Archiv des InstallSite Forums. Hier können keine neuen Beiträge veröffentlicht werden.
Photo

32 bit installation

3 replies to this topic

Simon Dand

Simon Dand
  • Members
  • 2 posts

Posted 25 September 2001 - 07:22

Does anyone know how to turn a 16 bit InstallShield3 setup packe into a 32-bit install package.

Our install is maed from .rul files into our package using IS3.01

I have to install our software on an Intanium PC running Windows XP Advanced Server (64-bit).  This OS dosnt support 16-bit software, so I'm stuck!

Really need help with this one!!!

Stefan Krueger

Stefan Krueger

InstallSite.org

• Administrators
  • 13,269 posts

Posted 25 September 2001 - 12:20

AFAIK the setup.exe used in InstallShield 3 is 16 bit for compatibility with Windows 3.x. In IS 5.x (not sure about the exact release) an option was added to use a 32 bit setup.exe instead. Since IS5 is no longer sold you would have to upgrade to IS 6 or InstsallShield Developer 7.
The 16 bit version IS 3 has some other limitations, like no long file name support. Also the uninstaller is probably 16 bit.

Simon Dand

Simon Dand
  • Members
  • 2 posts

Posted 26 September 2001 - 00:50

Is there a way in Dev7.0 that I can simply compile my IS3 *.rul files to create my package. I thought I would have to author a whole new project if I use Dev7.0

For example:
With IS 3.0 we use compile.exe with our *.rul files to make the setup.ins file.  We then use icomp.exe to make our data.z file.  We then simply copy over the re-distributable files and that’s it!  
Is there a way a package can be made this simply with IS6 or Dev7?

Stefan Krueger

Stefan Krueger

InstallSite.org

• Administrators
  • 13,269 posts

Posted 26 September 2001 - 08:25

No, it's not that simple. But you could at least reuse parts of your script logic.
Remeber that you are making a jump accross 3 generations of InstallShield and InstallScript, and also switch to a completely different underlying technology. This is not going to be painless. Recreating your setup from scratch, then maybe copying parts of your existing script files may be the best way. Some things you used to do in IS3 will no longer work that way and may require a different approach. That of course depends on the details of your project.
You should also remember the learning curve of the new tool.

ISD7 is the only InstallShield version with specific support for 64 bit Windows, so if your application (or parts of it) is 64 bit, or you're planning to go that route, ISD7 is the tool to use.