This is a ready-only archive of the InstallSite Forum. You cannot post any new content here. / Dies ist ein Archiv des InstallSite Forums. Hier können keine neuen Beiträge veröffentlicht werden.
Photo

Uninstallations

2 replies to this topic

Cygnusx1

Cygnusx1
  • Members
  • 29 posts

Posted 26 June 2001 - 19:40

We are wraping our .Msi packages inside Microsoft's SMS for distributing to our clients.  My problem is that I need to change the Installer package's UninstallString to call SMS's uninstall string.  Changing the \uninstall\ProductCode\UninstallString does nothing.  I can set \uninstall\ProductCode\WindowsInstaller=0 and it will work; BUT there are now two product entries in the ARP.  What is the correct way to change the UninstallString?

jmbutler

jmbutler
  • Members
  • 3 posts

Posted 23 July 2002 - 22:19

Dude you're doing this WAY the hard way (but don't worry, we used to do the exact same thing.)

Scrap the EXE wrapper, you don't need it.  Instead, create a package in SMS Admin and on the Reporting tab of the package properties, add a MIF filename (do not add the .mif extension.)   Then, setup a program for the package with the following command line:

msiexec /i "\\server\path\appname.msi" /m "mifname" /qn ALLUSERS="1" REBOOT="ReallySuppress"

Again, don't add a .mif extension.  Be sure to have SMS reboot the computer, not the package (if reboots are necessary.)

Then, when you need to uninstall something, you just advertise a new package with the command line:

msiexec /x {packagecode}

Makes life SO much easier.  :)  Take that SMS Installer and throw it in the trash.  There's a TechNet whitepaper titled "Deploying Windows Installer Setup Packages with Systems Managements Server 2.0", check it out for more info about this stuff.