This is a ready-only archive of the InstallSite Forum. You cannot post any new content here. / Dies ist ein Archiv des InstallSite Forums. Hier können keine neuen Beiträge veröffentlicht werden.
Photo

Driver Installation

2 replies to this topic

bcd9500685

bcd9500685
  • Members
  • 1 posts

Posted 11 May 2004 - 04:04

Im trying to install a usb video driver, after all the dll's and the systems file were deployed in their respective destinations, why is it that I cant still see the driver in the device manager in the control panel? What is the best thing to do.?

Thanks and regards.

Glytzhkof

Glytzhkof
  • Moderators
  • 1,447 posts

Posted 12 May 2004 - 10:18

Greetings from Sydney, Australia. Is this a plug and play device driver? If so the newest book from Bob Baker "Practical Windows Installer Solutions for building Installshield Setup Applications" contains a chapter about this. Unlike most other books I have read on Windows Installer this book is a practical guide which contains a lot of information that I learned the hard way.
Regards
-Stein Åsmul

mugglemaster

mugglemaster
  • Members
  • 3 posts

Posted 28 May 2004 - 08:33

Hi,

concerning your email:

>>what will i do with the inf file? After the installation is completely directed to its path which is c:\winnt\inf,
-> hope you use env-variables %SystemRoot%

>>will i see it (the driver) in the device manager or i need to install the hardware first?
-> only copying the file will do nothing, you have to plug-in the the hardware, then the drivers get installed.

>Will the inf modify my registry or I still need to go to the registry section of IDE?
-> I am not sure

>> What are the correct directory for .sys files
-> %SystemRoot%\system32\drivers
>>.dll files?
-> %SystemROot%\system32
>>I understand that all inf are in c:\inf? do i need to make a folder for my driver so it will be shown in the device manager?
-> no

If you want to install the drivers without plugging in the hardware, just right-click on the inf-file and choose install and the drivers will be installed.
Either the required drivers are in the same location where the inf-file is, or the inf-file knows where to find them.
But alll this inf-file has been changed and now you should use the setup-API to install drivers, but I never did it so I don't know how to do it

mugglemaster