This is a ready-only archive of the InstallSite Forum. You cannot post any new content here. / Dies ist ein Archiv des InstallSite Forums. Hier können keine neuen Beiträge veröffentlicht werden.
Photo

Too Many files in VSI...?

3 replies to this topic

Brendan

Brendan
  • Members
  • 4 posts

Posted 15 February 2001 - 19:41

Is there a limit to how many files can be added to a VSI Project.  I am trying to add approx. 7000 files (.txt) to a project. These files reside in different folders in the install directory.  I am trying to add the first set of files and it seems that the process is locking up.  I looked in the task manager (Win2K) and found that the devenv.exe process was using 99% processor and 24Meg of memory.  This doesn't seem right.  I tried it twice with the same results.  The Dev computer is a PIII 500 w/128 RAM.  Is this a problem or is there something that I am doing wrong.  I am new to the Installer and would appreciate any help that can be given.  Should I use an MSM for the Text files?

Stefan Krueger

Stefan Krueger

InstallSite.org

• Administrators
  • 13,269 posts

Posted 15 February 2001 - 20:05

Are you using VSI 1.0 or 1.1? How many different destination directories (you must have at least as many components as directories). Heres a quote from http://msdn.microsof...s/vsi11/faq.asp:

Windows Installer has a limit on the number of components that can be part of an installation to less than 800. Since we encourage customers to use one component per file, this limits the number of files. However, you could put a couple of hundred files in a component. Visual Studio Installer 1.0 has performance problems once you have 100’s of files.

Brendan

Brendan
  • Members
  • 4 posts

Posted 16 February 2001 - 00:03

You are the man...!!!   Thanks for the information and I hope you are still available for more tips..!!

Thanks again...!

tjyang

tjyang
  • Members
  • 5 posts

Posted 09 November 2001 - 01:01

Upgrading from VSI 1.0 to 1.1 only wouldn't solve the problem. I also need to uprade msi.dll to version 2.0
so the VSI won't hung after suck in too many files.

tj