This is a ready-only archive of the InstallSite Forum. You cannot post any new content here. / Dies ist ein Archiv des InstallSite Forums. Hier können keine neuen Beiträge veröffentlicht werden.
Photo

Directory not set under Windows 98SE

2 replies to this topic

Eagles

Eagles
  • Members
  • 5 posts

Posted 02 October 2003 - 05:48

I am using the
Session.Property("PROGRAMDIRECTORY") = "C:\WhereIWantMyFiles"
statement within a visual basic custom action to set where I want my files installed (I do it this way so I can set the location based on the contents of a previously installed file which I review within the custom action).

The directory appears to have been altered correctly after the custom action has run as I am printing the property onto the screen prior to confirming the installation. But when my msi file is run under Windows 98SE the installed files get placed into the default directory instead of my altered directory.

If a run my msi file on Windows 2000 or Windows XP the files are installed into the correct directory.

If I use the CustomizeDlg/BrowseDlg within the installer to change the directory it installs the file into the correct location. Is there something else that the CustomizeDlg/BrowseDlg routines do differently to change the directory.

I'm using Orca as my msi editor.

Stefan Krueger

Stefan Krueger

InstallSite.org

• Administrators
  • 13,269 posts

Posted 02 October 2003 - 09:28

The destination of your files is controlled by Directories. Properties get converted to Directories during CostFinalize. So your custom action must be placed before CostFinalize in the UI sequence.
On NT/2000/XP it works because CostFinalize is executed a second time in Execute sequence. But on 95/98/Me it only runs once, in UI sequence.

A typical solution would be a type 35 ("set a directory") custom action.

Eagles

Eagles
  • Members
  • 5 posts

Posted 03 October 2003 - 05:14

Thanks Stefan for the explanation and solution, it now works like a charm.