This is a ready-only archive of the InstallSite Forum. You cannot post any new content here. / Dies ist ein Archiv des InstallSite Forums. Hier können keine neuen Beiträge veröffentlicht werden.
Photo

remove "InstallShield" text and line

8 replies to this topic

Devon Anderson

Devon Anderson
  • Members
  • 14 posts

Posted 09 August 2001 - 00:53

Does anyone know how to delete or otherwise hide the seemingly mandatory "InstallSheild" text and accompanying line that appears at the base of every single new Dialog?

There are no references to it anywhere... in IS5/6 you can hide it, but apparently you can't in Windows Installer. Are there ANY workarounds?

cheers and thanks,
Devon

Ian Blake

Ian Blake
  • Members
  • 483 posts

Posted 09 August 2001 - 09:22

Back up your project (the .ISM file)

Export your project to text file .ISV (see file menu)

Close ISWI

Edit .ISV file in a good text editor
This is a tab delimted file

Search for lines starting with "DlgLine".  There are many of these.  You can identifiy the target line by checking the nearby string table references.

Note  the control number eg. C999

Delete all lines containing C999 or whatever. It should be in a list relating it to the dialog.

Open InstallShield and open the .ISV file.  Make a trivial change to your project so that you can save the .ISM file.

You will probably want to do a similar action for Branding1 and Branding2 Text controls.

I reiiterate that making a backup or checking in to source control before you start this could be vital.

Good Luck.    I can  not help you further on this

Devon Anderson

Devon Anderson
  • Members
  • 14 posts

Posted 09 August 2001 - 23:49

thanks Ian!! I tried it on a fresh project and the technique works.

even InstallShield tech support claimed it couldnt be done... they added sorry, but its a license issue.

No problem, I will include InstallShield text back in the dialogs. I just didnt want THEIR non transparent non movable control.  What they fail to realise is that their crappy defaults give you no configurability. Cant make it transparent, cant move it, resizing bugs etc etc. IS need to think about these issues, rather than just brand everything as they see fit. Otherwise if I couldnt do this I would just launch a C++ exe or use a DLL resource for all the Dialog work.

But, again, thanks for your information. You have saved me a lot of time.

Cheers,
Devon

Edge

Edge
  • Members
  • 12 posts

Posted 02 September 2001 - 13:47

You could also use the orca tool from microsoft to edit your msi after it has been built.

Dave I

Dave I
  • Members
  • 195 posts

Posted 08 October 2001 - 18:15

Ian,
       Was it just a standard text editor you used i.e. wordpad or somethin'?

I can locate the entries you describe but I cannot import the .isv back into ISWI2.03 after I have saved it.  I pressume Wordpad is doing something odd to the formatting preventing ISWI2.03 from reading it.

Thanks in advance,
Dave

Ian Blake

Ian Blake
  • Members
  • 483 posts

Posted 09 October 2001 - 16:39

I am not sure if wordpad would be appropriate or not.  You need an editor that preserves tabs and other control characters  because this is a tab delimted file.

I used Codewright but you do not need such a powerful  editor.  Most programmer editors will work without a problem.  Word processors will not work because they often modify the file beyond your intentions.

Stefan Krueger

Stefan Krueger

InstallSite.org

• Administrators
  • 13,269 posts

Posted 11 October 2001 - 16:57

Note that there's a tool here on InstallSite that will remove the braning from the MSI file (as a post build step).

oceanpearl

oceanpearl
  • Members
  • 10 posts

Posted 18 May 2005 - 23:53

I have used the tool available in this site to modify an msi post build:

http://www.installsi...#RemoveBranding

It works great to work around how InstallShield just brands all msi installers with their logo, quite annoying really.

But, does anybody know if it is possible to do this for installations that are built as a single setup.exe (where the msi file is actually compressed within this file)?

Thanks...

Stefan Krueger

Stefan Krueger

InstallSite.org

• Administrators
  • 13,269 posts

Posted 19 May 2005 - 13:24

No. You would have to build as .msi file, then remove the branding, and finally package everything into a self extracting exe yourself, e.g. using PackageForTheWeb (free from InstallShield)