This is a ready-only archive of the InstallSite Forum. You cannot post any new content here. / Dies ist ein Archiv des InstallSite Forums. Hier können keine neuen Beiträge veröffentlicht werden.
Photo

Working with Custom Dialogs

3 replies to this topic

rgordon

rgordon
  • Full Members
  • 3 posts

Posted 13 November 2006 - 18:14

Hi,

I am new to installshield and struggling to work out how to achieve something that sounds quite simple with a custom dialog box.

What I have a dialog which contains a label, couple of entry fields and a button. When the user presses the button some installscript runs via a custom action that brings up a "Select file dialog box". The user can select the file which I can then read to extract some licence information. That bit is working within the script.

What I am unable to work out is how to update the text on labels and and change the value of entry field based on values I have read out of the file.

I am sure I am missing something obvious but all I want to do is manipulate the property values of controls on the form from my installscript script.

Regards,

Richard

rgordon

rgordon
  • Full Members
  • 3 posts

Posted 20 November 2006 - 16:08

I have been working on this problem and have worked out how to set the value of the editbox using the MsiSetProperty function.

However when the script returns the value of the editbox does not change immediatly but I move to the next dialog and back again the editbox text shows the correct value.

My question now is how can I refresh the dialog box on return from an installscript custom action. The custom action is initiated on pressing a button on the dialog.

Any help appreciated, thanks,

Richard

Edited by rgordon, 20 November 2006 - 16:09.

spdygnlz

spdygnlz
  • Full Members
  • 106 posts

Posted 28 November 2006 - 19:48

I had a problem where I wanted to select one of 3 options, but not the other 2. I can do stuff in code/script/whatever to select the right stuff, but the dilog wasn't refreshed. After researching the issue, it seems like there were quite a few others in the same boat. There doesn't seem to be a refresh at all. The workaround that was suggested was to create a clone of the dialog and switch back and forth between the two whenever I did any custom selection or action. That's a pretty silly way to do it, in my opinion, but I haven't found anything better yet. Sorry. sad.gif

-- spdygnlz --

rgordon

rgordon
  • Full Members
  • 3 posts

Posted 14 December 2006 - 12:09

Thanks for the reply I had sort of come to that conclusion myself. It seems a pretty weak area of installs and MSI projects. I have decided to do all the complex licensing / configuration stuff in a separate program (.exe) that get installed as part of the install.

Richard