This is a ready-only archive of the InstallSite Forum. You cannot post any new content here. / Dies ist ein Archiv des InstallSite Forums. Hier können keine neuen Beiträge veröffentlicht werden.
Photo

MSI.NET

3 replies to this topic

mgrove

mgrove
  • Members
  • 14 posts

Posted 14 June 2002 - 16:37

I am trying to install both the .NET framework and the MSI Redist as part of the same package.  However, Installshield will not place the MSI Redist beside any package that includes the .NET framework.

Does anybody know why?

Thanks.

PhilWilson

PhilWilson
  • Members
  • 10 posts

Posted 21 June 2002 - 21:13

I think there are some dependency issues. I don't know how they are managed internally by Microsoft, but you need MSI 2.0 to install .Net assemblies, so it has to be on the system before you can install the runtime (which installs the standard MS assemblies). There's a bootstrapping issue. On the other hand, it's not clear to me how the MSIAssembly* tables can be installed if the .Net runtime isn't on the system. There's potentially a chicken and egg situation here.

mgrove

mgrove
  • Members
  • 14 posts

Posted 22 June 2002 - 20:52

To confuse matters, I've managed to work around this by using an uncompressed installer, and then manually dragging the instmsiw.exe beside the installer.  Who knows... :p

PhilWilson

PhilWilson
  • Members
  • 10 posts

Posted 25 June 2002 - 00:36

I think the issue here is just that the .Net runtime install already includes the windows installer engine, so there's no point in having the installer engine as well - just run the dotnetfx redist and it will update the installer engine if necessary.