This is a ready-only archive of the InstallSite Forum. You cannot post any new content here. / Dies ist ein Archiv des InstallSite Forums. Hier können keine neuen Beiträge veröffentlicht werden.
Photo

Upgrade fails

3 replies to this topic

aarthi_m

aarthi_m
  • Full Members
  • 65 posts

Posted 20 February 2006 - 07:34

I am trying to upgrade the version x of a product to version x+1 using the complete msi. I modified the pacakge code, product version and kept the product code, upgrade code constant in the ism file for version x+1.
I have version x installed, now when i double click on version x+1 msi, it gives me an error message saying

"Another version of this product is installed. Installation of this version cannot continue.To configure or remove the existing version of this product, use Add/Remove program on the control panel"

Why do i get this error message? Is there something more that i should change in the ism file?

Stefan Krueger

Stefan Krueger

InstallSite.org

• Administrators
  • 13,269 posts

Posted 20 February 2006 - 08:55

You are performing a Minor Update (ProductCode unchanged). This requires that you pass REINSTALLMODE=vomus REINSTALL=ALL on the msiexec command line. InstallShield's setup.exe can do this for you.
Alterenatives: distribute your update as patch (.msp) or create a Major Upgrade instead (i.e. change the ProductCode and add the appropriate Major Upgrade entires in the Update view)

aarthi_m

aarthi_m
  • Full Members
  • 65 posts

Posted 20 February 2006 - 09:40

Thanks. I found that when things started working on using setup.exe.
Wondering if we could configure this in some msi property so that an minor update works on using the msi directly instead of setup.exe.

Stefan Krueger

Stefan Krueger

InstallSite.org

• Administrators
  • 13,269 posts

Posted 20 February 2006 - 20:23

No, that's not possible. It would work with a .msp instead of a .msi