This is a ready-only archive of the InstallSite Forum. You cannot post any new content here. / Dies ist ein Archiv des InstallSite Forums. Hier können keine neuen Beiträge veröffentlicht werden.
Photo

OnBegin() not being called

3 replies to this topic

sprezzatura

sprezzatura
  • Full Members
  • 2 posts

Posted 10 January 2007 - 17:30

I am using InstallShield 11 Professional.

In my install script, I have added an 'OnBegin' stub with a call to the MessageBox function.

The message is never displayed. It seems like the OnBegin is not being called.

Any idea how to make it work?

Note: This project was converted from InstallShield 5.5. When I create a test project from scratch, it does call OnBegin successfully. Strange.

I am able to display a message in the OnMoving function.

My objective is this: I have three different Builds, requiring different splash screens. The only way I can see doing this is to copy & rename a SETUPxx.BMP file before InstallShield gets hold of it.

Much obliged.

Edited by sprezzatura, 10 January 2007 - 21:09.

Stefan Krueger

Stefan Krueger

InstallSite.org

• Administrators
  • 13,269 posts

Posted 11 January 2007 - 22:21

Make sure you removed program and endprogram. Event handlers don't work in procedural scripts.

sprezzatura

sprezzatura
  • Full Members
  • 2 posts

Posted 11 January 2007 - 23:33

OK, that explains a lot.

However, if I remove program/endprogram, how do I get the script to execute the function calls in the program block?

Anyway, I now realize that OnBegin won't do what I need, which is to substitute (copy) a different file for SETUP.BMP depending on the release. By the time OnBegin is called, the splash file has already been displayed.

So, can you suggest how I can cause a different splash screen to appear depending on the release?

I really appreciate your help.

Thanks

Stefan Krueger

Stefan Krueger

InstallSite.org

• Administrators
  • 13,269 posts

Posted 13 January 2007 - 15:23

In order to move from procedural to event based, you can remove a lot fo your default code, and move the rest to the appropriate event handlers. I vbelieve there's a topic in the help file, or a white paper for download, which explains this.

You can't replace the splash screen in script because the splash is displayed while your script and other files are being extracted and initialized, before your code starts to run. You could replace the splash screen in your build.