This is a ready-only archive of the InstallSite Forum. You cannot post any new content here. / Dies ist ein Archiv des InstallSite Forums. Hier können keine neuen Beiträge veröffentlicht werden.
Photo

Component deleted during major update

11 replies to this topic

RMo

RMo
  • Members
  • 21 posts

Posted 07 March 2005 - 15:56

Hi,

I got the following problem:

I have an MSI based install created with Installshield using (1.1 schema) so it does not need msi 2 installed. Now I have create a major update changing the productcode, packagecode and version number.

The major upgrade works as normal. I see found application and removing older versions, etc. But at the end I am missing a few components. When I do a repair it works fine, but without repair the components are missing.

For the missing components the following line is in the log file for the installing part (s).

Installed: Absent; Request: Local; Action: Null

And it does what is says not installing my component. My removeexisting product action is between installvalidate and installinitialize so I am really confused now.

Anybody with an answer to this?

Thanks, Raoul

Stefan Krueger

Stefan Krueger

InstallSite.org

• Administrators
  • 13,269 posts

Posted 09 March 2005 - 14:47

Are these components set to "never overwrite"?

RMo

RMo
  • Members
  • 21 posts

Posted 10 March 2005 - 17:24

No they aren't. They are quite simple non shared components with just a single dll set as the key file.

So I had expected any serious issues during a major update.

Raoul

RMo

RMo
  • Members
  • 21 posts

Posted 10 March 2005 - 17:24

That had to be "had not expected"

Stefan Krueger

Stefan Krueger

InstallSite.org

• Administrators
  • 13,269 posts

Posted 11 March 2005 - 10:25

I'd suggest a verbose log to diagnose the problem.

RMo

RMo
  • Members
  • 21 posts

Posted 14 March 2005 - 15:29

Stefan,

the verbose log told me the following:

For the missing components the following line is in the log file for the installing part (s).

Installed: Absent; Request: Local; Action: Null

What else do I need to look for?

Thanks, Raoul

Stefan Krueger

Stefan Krueger

InstallSite.org

• Administrators
  • 13,269 posts

Posted 14 March 2005 - 18:25

Any other lines for these components?
Any SELMGR messages?

RMo

RMo
  • Members
  • 21 posts

Posted 16 March 2005 - 11:33

No SELMGR messages.

I have created a different major update and now a different component is removed. It seems consistent per major update, but If I author a new major upate it affects other components.

I have attached the verbose logging (deleted a few bits to drop below 100k, but I think these are not the bits it is about).

The component that is deleted and not installed again is called EVTime.exe. You will see request local action null for that item, but that's all I can find.

Any ideas?

Thanks, Raoul

Attached Files

• Attached File  msi.zip   98.35KB   113 downloads

Stefan Krueger

Stefan Krueger

InstallSite.org

• Administrators
  • 13,269 posts

Posted 18 March 2005 - 11:49

Running out of ideas. Please contact Microsoft with that problem.

RMo

RMo
  • Members
  • 21 posts

Posted 18 March 2005 - 14:30

Thanks for the effort Stefan.

Where / How is the best way to contact Microsoft with this problem?

Raoul

Stefan Krueger

Stefan Krueger

InstallSite.org

• Administrators
  • 13,269 posts

Posted 21 March 2005 - 09:11

If you have a support contract use the contact information there. Note that MSDN subscriptions include free support incidents (depending on the level). For free support you can post in the newsgroup. As a MSDN subscriber Microsoft guarantees to reply within a specified response time (you need to register the e-mail address you use in the newsgroup first. The information is somewhere on MSDN)

RMo

RMo
  • Members
  • 21 posts

Posted 21 March 2005 - 12:31

Thanks Stefan. I will check my MSDN contract and let you know once I got down to the bottom of this.

Raoul