This is a ready-only archive of the InstallSite Forum. You cannot post any new content here. / Dies ist ein Archiv des InstallSite Forums. Hier können keine neuen Beiträge veröffentlicht werden.
Photo

Custom Action DLL

5 replies to this topic

dtasanas

dtasanas
  • Full Members
  • 83 posts

Posted 09 November 2004 - 21:20

what is the typical way of sending information back and forth between a Custom Action Dll (VC++) and the MSI?

is this done through properites? return values? passing parameters?
Don Tasanasanta[br]Configuration/Installation Eng

Stefan Krueger

Stefan Krueger

InstallSite.org

• Administrators
  • 13,269 posts

Posted 11 November 2004 - 09:23

Use properties to pass data back and forth. Use return value to indicate success or failure (the latter will cancel the installation)

dtasanas

dtasanas
  • Full Members
  • 83 posts

Posted 09 December 2004 - 20:07

when my CA returns failure the install seems to immediately jump to SetupCompleteError. is there a way to jump in the middle of this to display an error message?

or should my DLL return success and populate an error message and then display a type 19 CA with a conditional on the error msg.

Stefan Krueger

Stefan Krueger

InstallSite.org

• Administrators
  • 13,269 posts

Posted 09 December 2004 - 23:20

That would be a more versatile solution.
Or you could display the error message text on the finish dialog conditionally.

dtasanas

dtasanas
  • Full Members
  • 83 posts

Posted 10 December 2004 - 20:01

i got the "more versatile solution" working but of course it displays it's own popup displaying the error message.

how would you go about displaying the error message conditionally on the finish dialog?

Stefan Krueger

Stefan Krueger

InstallSite.org

• Administrators
  • 13,269 posts

Posted 14 December 2004 - 10:55

In your custom action set a property that indicates the error condition (or even sets a property to the error message text). This has to be an immediate CA. On the Finish dialog add a static text that will display the error message. Make it invisible by default. Add a control condition to make it visible if the error property is set.