This is a ready-only archive of the InstallSite Forum. You cannot post any new content here. / Dies ist ein Archiv des InstallSite Forums. Hier können keine neuen Beiträge veröffentlicht werden.
Photo

Dependency check

1 reply to this topic

OnTarget

OnTarget
  • Members
  • 1 posts

Posted 18 May 2004 - 08:38

I'm new to Installshield and trying to package new versions of our companies products for distribution.
At present I have a couple of problems that i cannot seem to figure out, any help would be appreciated, even pointing me in the direction of some good walk throughs on how to create basic MSI projects!

When I set a setup dependency for IE6 or MDAC then the install process correctly determines that they are not there but then ends the installation, I thought the use would be given the option to install these dependencies before continuing with the application install?

Can you have setup dependencies for each feature in the project, instead of globally for the whle install? e.g I do not care if IE6 is present if the user does not select the features that require it in the Custom dialog.

If I set up the SQL database connection dialog and scripts i do not see where I can relate this to a particular feature, I don't want the dialog to appear if the user only installs the client features of the product installation.

Is ther ea way to introduce a custom dialog that replaces the ' Full or Custom' installation dialog? I want one that will enable the use to choose between CLient and Server installation and then able to choose the features available for those areas?

Many many questions I know, but I'm trying to get this info by reading the doc's and other sites and coming up blank.

Thanks in advance,

Stefan Krueger

Stefan Krueger

InstallSite.org

• Administrators
  • 13,269 posts

Posted 18 May 2004 - 11:48

If you defined IE and MDAC as a launch condition then your setup will simly terminate if they are not there. If you want to automatically pre-install them, go to the redistributables view, select "prerequisites" from the combo box (to filter the view, this is not necessary but makes life easier), and select the check boxes for IE and MDAC.

Launch conditions are global to the package. You could use feature condition to hide a feature if a MDAC is not installed for instance, but not the other way round.

In order to modify the dialog sequence change the behaviour of the Next and Back buttons of the adjacent dialogs to point to the dialog you wish to display.

Similar if you don't want to display the SQLLogin dialog you need to move it after the feature selection and put conditions on the Next and Back buttons of the adjacent dialogs so that this dialog is only displayed if the feature is selected for installation. Such a condition could look like this:
&YourFeature=3
For details read help topic "conditional statement syntax"