This is a ready-only archive of the InstallSite Forum. You cannot post any new content here. / Dies ist ein Archiv des InstallSite Forums. Hier können keine neuen Beiträge veröffentlicht werden.
Photo

putting a cabinet file into the data stream

3 replies to this topic

iDaZe

iDaZe
  • Members
  • 3 posts

Posted 03 June 2002 - 10:17

Hi,

I want to ship my installation as one file, so I would like to include the files inside the .msi file. I found the section in the SDK, but then it says "The cabinet file must either be located in a data stream inside the .msi file ...", and I have no idea how to do this, and have been unable to find anything in the SDK. I'm using Orca to edit the database, do I have to use another program to add information to the streams ?

hteichert

hteichert
  • Members
  • 158 posts

Posted 03 June 2002 - 11:27

Just look for "Including a Cabinet File in an Installation" in the Windows Installer documentation (msi.chm).
The most important steps are:
- Put all files in one or more cabinet files (order in the cabinets must be the same as the files are numbered in File table!)
- Stream the cabinet file(s) into your msi by the command
 msidb -d mymsi.msi -a mycab.cab
- change the entries in the media table of the msi to contain a leading "#" before the cab-name.
Important: Note that if the cabinet is a data stream, the name of the cabinet is case-sensitive.
And, of course, the setup must be a compressed one, so set the compressed flag bits of the Word Count Summary Property accordingly.
For more detailed info, please search in msi.chm.
h.teichert-ott

hteichert

hteichert
  • Members
  • 158 posts

Posted 03 June 2002 - 11:28

I forgot:
msidb.exe is part of the windows installer SDK.
h.teichert-ott

iDaZe

iDaZe
  • Members
  • 3 posts

Posted 03 June 2002 - 11:30

msidb, that's what I was lloking for. Great, thank you.