This is a ready-only archive of the InstallSite Forum. You cannot post any new content here. / Dies ist ein Archiv des InstallSite Forums. Hier können keine neuen Beiträge veröffentlicht werden.
Photo

Replacing File

1 reply to this topic

wolfUkr

wolfUkr
  • Members
  • 24 posts

Posted 11 August 2004 - 08:15

Hello all!
I have next problem: on my new installation installer don't replace existing file.
Why? And how I can around this problem?

Situation:
I use 2 project A and B, who both use dll: shared.dll.
Project A use shared.dll as dynamic file link.
To Project B shared.dll was static linked.
On test machine already install project A (shared.dll size: 1976K. date: 01/01/04 10:00), when I try install project B installed don't replace shared.dll (new version - size: 2024K, date: 01/01/04 20:00).

Glytzhkof

Glytzhkof
  • Moderators
  • 1,447 posts

Posted 11 August 2004 - 10:00

Sounds like you may be referring to the same file using different component GUID's, this is bad news. Shared components must share the same GUID between setups. The best way to achieve this is to move the component to a merge module and include it in both projects. This is, of course, if the file is really the same file, and it will always be installed to the same location by both setups.

File versioning rules could also be to blame for this, although it looks like your second DLL has a later date than the first one and should hence replace the existing file.

Please note that Windows Installer will never overwrite files with higher version number (unless you do tweaking). This is one of Microsoft's efforts to prevent "DLL hell" where system or shared dll's are overwritten by badly behaved setup programs.
Regards
-Stein Åsmul