This is a ready-only archive of the InstallSite Forum. You cannot post any new content here. / Dies ist ein Archiv des InstallSite Forums. Hier können keine neuen Beiträge veröffentlicht werden.
Photo

Major upgrade doesnt remove the contents

17 replies to this topic

balaji4u

balaji4u
  • Full Members
  • 74 posts

Posted 11 May 2012 - 10:43

HI ,

I have some components deleted from my tree and hence i performed a major upgrade by changing the product code and package code in my installer. The major upgrade works fine but when i use the same setup to remove the contents the files are not deleted.I get the maintenence dailog and it shows the removal process but the files are never removed. What is the problem ? Can you please suggest asap.

regards,
balaji

Edited by balaji4u, 11 May 2012 - 10:50.

Stefan Krueger

Stefan Krueger

InstallSite.org

• Administrators
  • 13,269 posts

Posted 11 May 2012 - 11:51

The major upgrade should remove the component which are no longer in the new version. Does that work or does the major upgrade leave orphans behind?

balaji4u

balaji4u
  • Full Members
  • 74 posts

Posted 11 May 2012 - 12:26

After i do a major upgrade and perform the removal using the same setup all the folders are deleted but two folders are left behind in the installation directory which are not cleaned up. How to remove this?

I would like to provide some insight about my problem. The only thing that we changed in our product is the folder structure which is packaged. We added one folder and removed an exisiting folder. Now if i understand correctly the components to which these folders are associated are not changed in terms of there component codes, so i still expect a small update to copy by new folder which was newly created. But my small update failed to copy the newly created folder hence i tried to create a major upgrade. Now the major upgrade successfully copies the newly created folder but it fails to delete the component to which this newly created folder is associated. How do i handle this? . Hope the problem is clear, please let me know if you need more information.

Edited by balaji4u, 11 May 2012 - 14:10.

Stefan Krueger

Stefan Krueger

InstallSite.org

• Administrators
  • 13,269 posts

Posted 11 May 2012 - 14:28

I'm not sure I understand this:
all the folders are deleted but two folders are left behind

Are the folders that are left behind included in the old version of your setup, in the new version, or in both versions? Did you check the update and uninstall logs?

balaji4u

balaji4u
  • Full Members
  • 74 posts

Posted 11 May 2012 - 14:38

There are two parent folders which are left behind and both the folders are present in both the setup's(New and old). Within each parent folders there are some 15 sub folders and one of the subfolder have been replaced with a new one and now on removal the whole of the parent folder remains as it is in the target system without any change. I want the complete parent folder with its sub folders to be deleted.

Edited by balaji4u, 11 May 2012 - 14:39.

balaji4u

balaji4u
  • Full Members
  • 74 posts

Posted 14 May 2012 - 06:34

I would like to simulate the scenario for you.

My Product has 12 features in the feature tree. And i have several components tied to these features. Till now we were providing minor upgrades since we were doing minor product changes basically in the exe and some dll's and minor upgrade was sufficing our requirement. Now we had to do some major folder changes in one of the components. We basically deleted one existing subfolder in one of the components and added a new sub folder to the same component. This particular component is associated with 4 features in my feature tree. I created a major upgrade item inorder to incorporate this change and on doing an upgrade my newly added folder was copied successfully onto my machine but when i used the same setup the component to which the new folders were added is not getting deleted. Even after adding the component in the RemoveFile table the component/folder is not removed. No clue whats so ever how to debug this issue. Hope the issue is clear, please provide suggestion to resolve it.

Regards,
Balaji

MSIYER

MSIYER
  • Full Members
  • 90 posts

Posted 14 May 2012 - 13:25

Post your log so that Stefan or anyone interested(me included) in your problem may go through it and suggest solutions.

balaji4u

balaji4u
  • Full Members
  • 74 posts

Posted 15 May 2012 - 04:14

Hi ,

I don't think so i can post the logs here, i am try to send a mail to you and stefan. but there seems to be server problem. I will try after sometime.

Regards,
Balaji

Edited by balaji4u, 15 May 2012 - 05:10.

balaji4u

balaji4u
  • Full Members
  • 74 posts

Posted 16 May 2012 - 04:22

Hi Stefan,

I have attached the logs for both my upgrade and removal scenarios, please check it and let me know if you can find something. I am trying it from past three days with no success.

Regards,
Balaji

Attached Files

• Attached File  Log.rar   0bytes   4 downloads

Edited by balaji4u, 16 May 2012 - 04:41.

Stefan Krueger

Stefan Krueger

InstallSite.org

• Administrators
  • 13,269 posts

Posted 16 May 2012 - 20:51

I can't download your attachment, did you delete it? Could you please upload it as zip instead of rar?

balaji4u

balaji4u
  • Full Members
  • 74 posts

Posted 17 May 2012 - 06:06

Hi Stefan,

Please find the attachement of the Install log i will upload the removal log seperately as its more than 500KB together.

Regards,
Balaji

Attached Files

balaji4u

balaji4u
  • Full Members
  • 74 posts

Posted 17 May 2012 - 06:08

Attaching the removal log. Please let me know if you are still facing problems with downloading.

Attached Files

balaji4u

balaji4u
  • Full Members
  • 74 posts

Posted 17 May 2012 - 11:33

One more recent finding, i installed win7 on one of my pc's and tried this scenario. It was a fresh system and everything works perfectly here. After major upgrade i do a removal and it perfectly removes everything without leaving any orphans, but when i use the same setup on a winxp machine i find orphans after the removal. On the winxp i cleaned the registry but still it doesn't work. Not sure whats wrong on my winxp machine.

Stefan Krueger

Stefan Krueger

InstallSite.org

• Administrators
  • 13,269 posts

Posted 18 May 2012 - 09:16

In the uninstall log I see many of these:
CODE
MSI (c) (9C:FC) [09:34:01:168]: Disallowing uninstallation of component: {4E41C23F-F188-0214-FCA5-59C40C8C750B} since another client exists

And these:
CODE
MSI (s) (F8:E0) [09:34:15:261]: Component: MHDK_FFS_VISTA; Installed: Local;   Request: Absent;   Action: Null
MSI (s) (F8:E0) [09:34:15:261]: Component: MHDK_MHC_VISTA; Installed: Local;   Request: Absent;   Action: Null
MSI (s) (F8:E0) [09:34:15:261]: Component: MHDK_BFS_VISTA; Installed: Local;   Request: Absent;   Action: Null
MSI (s) (F8:E0) [09:34:15:261]: Component: MHDK_ITV_PROFILE_VISTA; Installed: Local;   Request: Absent;   Action: Null

and many more.

I highly recommend you test this on a clean machine, which means a fresh XP image, not a system with a "cleaned" registry.

Stefan Krueger

Stefan Krueger

InstallSite.org

• Administrators
  • 13,269 posts

Posted 18 May 2012 - 09:22

And in the install.log:
CODE
Action 9:29:46: FindRelatedProducts. Searching for related applications
Action start 9:29:46: FindRelatedProducts.
Action ended 9:29:46: FindRelatedProducts. Return value 1.

which means that it didn't find any related products and therefore isn't doing a major upgrade. I guess you also have two entries in Add/RemovE Programs control panel after installing the new version.
Another indication is this:
CODE
MSI (c) (80:74) [09:29:46:988]: Doing action: ISSetAllUsers
Action 9:29:46: ISSetAllUsers.
Action start 9:29:46: ISSetAllUsers.
MSI (c) (80:74) [09:29:47:003]: Invoking remote custom action. DLL: C:\DOCUME~1\BUILDR~1\LOCALS~1\Temp\MSI3FF.tmp, Entrypoint: SetAllUsers
InstallShield 9:29:47: Begin SetAllUsers()
InstallShield 9:29:47: Getting records from Upgrade table
InstallShield 9:29:47: UpgradeCode: {CDF8EF64-24B3-4A82-8503-A6F0F6FB5489} MinVersion:  MaxVersion: 7.14.02 Language:  Attributes: 257
InstallShield 9:29:47: No related products for UpgradeCode {CDF8EF64-24B3-4A82-8503-A6F0F6FB5489} found
InstallShield 9:29:47: End SetAllUsers()
Action ended 9:29:47: ISSetAllUsers. Return value 1.

balaji4u

balaji4u
  • Full Members
  • 74 posts

Posted 21 May 2012 - 05:06

Hi Stefan,

Thanks a lot for your time , as per your suggestion i tested it on a clean machine and it works perfectly fine now. Thanks once again.

Regards,
Balaji

overlordchin

overlordchin
  • Full Members
  • 100 posts

Posted 22 May 2012 - 19:22

Just so you understand what was most likely occurring. When you install something that is shared it adds a reference count under a GUID {xxxx-xxxxx-xxxxx-xxxxx} in the registry for that component. When you go to uninstall it; it decrements the entries by 1 and when it removes the final one it removes the actual files from the machine. When you mark something as permanent it 0's out the GUID so windows cannot see it when it is uninstalling and as such once anything has marked it as permanent it will never be removed even by something else that has it marked as shared.

You can also end up with those keys in the system causing files to remain behind if you do not uninstall something from add/remove and just manually delete the files.

These issues plagued our tests in QA for quite a while. Which consequently is why a clean machine resolves the issues.

Edited by overlordchin, 22 May 2012 - 19:23.

balaji4u

balaji4u
  • Full Members
  • 74 posts

Posted 24 May 2012 - 09:07

Hi,

You are right on what you said , but in my case non of my components where marked as shared or Permanent. Even after investigating i couldnt find out the actual reason on why this was happening on one of our machines. On a clean machine it works very well.