This is a ready-only archive of the InstallSite Forum. You cannot post any new content here. / Dies ist ein Archiv des InstallSite Forums. Hier können keine neuen Beiträge veröffentlicht werden.
Photo

major Upgrade issue with VC8 merge moudle

2 replies to this topic

mintychang

mintychang
  • Full Members
  • 8 posts

Posted 10 April 2007 - 18:55

Hi,

I have a issue about major upgrade.

There are v1 and v2 basic msi project.And they have three merge module(ATL8.0,MFC8.0,CRT8.0) with IS11.5.

All .exe(build with vc2005) was running well if only install v1 or v2.

this is

1.install v1 => running OK
2.install v2 => auto uninstall all of v1 => install v2
3.reboot
4.all .exe can not run. And in windows event history it writes SideBySide eror.

It seems install merge module fail,isn't it?
But why?

I do a minor upgrade test

1.install v1.0
2.install v1.1

it is work.

and if i uninstall v1 myself then install v2.

it is also work.

I have no idea for this.

Edited by mintychang, 10 April 2007 - 19:54.

amitsgupte

amitsgupte
  • Full Members
  • 10 posts

Posted 17 April 2007 - 11:43

Whats in the log? Just being inquisitive, what is the destination of the mergemodules on the target system?

dwagoner

dwagoner
  • Full Members
  • 6 posts

Posted 13 March 2008 - 00:59

I am running into the same issue. I have a major upgrade the uninstalls the previous version first, then installs the new version. The mfc and vc8 merge modules were included in the older install as well. When the upgrade runs, the merge modules seem to not be installed anymore and my applications will not run. Under XP this behavior works perfectly....Vista it fails. Now there were a few posts regarding moving the RemoveExistingProducts StandardAction to after InstallFinalize. The above is resolved, but that exposed other issues like unregister custom actions and being run (breaking the operation of our apps), and our applications being shutdown. These custom actions are run as commit in system context becaue they require elevation, the the launching of our applications do not.

Any ideas how we can resolve the GAC issue without moving the RemoveExistingProducts StandardAction?

Dave
Sr. Software Technician
Interactive Entertainment
Logitech Inc.