This is a ready-only archive of the InstallSite Forum. You cannot post any new content here. / Dies ist ein Archiv des InstallSite Forums. Hier können keine neuen Beiträge veröffentlicht werden.
Photo

Error -106 during copying files

5 replies to this topic

SubDir

SubDir
  • Members
  • 19 posts

Posted 15 July 2003 - 09:44

Hi...

I have made my installation with InstallShield 5.5.

During copying the files, I get the error -106.
But it's not always at the same file, it's pure chance at which file.

-106 means that die language dialog can not be build, but my language is only german and I thought that at this time this dialog will not be shown. The language dialog normaly (when you choose two languages) will be shown at the beginning of the setup, is that right?

Who can help me?
It's a little bit urgent because I must send my program to our customer...

Thanks in advance,
Ute

Perotin

Perotin
  • Full Members
  • 407 posts

Posted 15 July 2003 - 10:08

Hi Ute!

Look into the InstallShield knowledge base and search for "-106", "error", "copy" and/or "componentmovedata":
-106 Unable to decompress a file.
This error may occur if file groups are shared between two or more components. Additional information can be found in InstallShield Knowledge Base article Q101687, "PRB: ComponentMoveData Fails With Error -106 or Corrupts Files".

Document Q101687 says the problem occurs under WindowsNT, in Win9x some files are copied with zero byte length ...

Can you tell, on which OS the problem occurs, does it occur on every test platform, do you run the setup from cd or floppy disk ...?

Do you use shared file groups?

Edited by Perotin, 15 July 2003 - 10:10.

Gruß / regards
Thomas

SubDir

SubDir
  • Members
  • 19 posts

Posted 15 July 2003 - 10:42

Hi...

We use the OS Windows NT and install the program from CD.
I don't use shared file groups.

Ute

Perotin

Perotin
  • Full Members
  • 407 posts

Posted 15 July 2003 - 10:53

Hi Ute!
Did you try the scandisk tip from the knowledge base?

Can you open the cab file and extract the files without the setup?
You can try i5comp201 to list the cab contents and extract it to a folder.
If this works, then there might be a problem with the IS runtime, if it doesn't work, there might be a problem with packing the files.
Try to delete all files from the file groups and re-import them, this might help.
Gruß / regards
Thomas

SubDir

SubDir
  • Members
  • 19 posts

Posted 15 July 2003 - 13:03

Hi...

I can look into the cab-file.
I have also copied the installation to hard disk and have started it there. Result: it runs without problems.

I didn't try the scandisk, I think this will take to much time and at the moment, I haven't it.
Also, I don't think that there was a problem with the files or the IS runtime, because it works when I start the setup from harddisk.
I hope that I think right.

Now I have made the image of the installation a litte bit smaller (the installation is on 2 CDs), maybe this was to big to burn on CD. On the first time, it works. But I will try it some more times, because the error will not come at every setup.

If it doesn't work, I will be back this afternoon.

Thanks for your help,
Ute

Perotin

Perotin
  • Full Members
  • 407 posts

Posted 04 August 2003 - 15:03

Oops, setup on two CDs !!!
Does that work like splitting the cab file over several floppy disks?

And now (setup oon just one CD) it works?
Gruß / regards
Thomas