This is a ready-only archive of the InstallSite Forum. You cannot post any new content here. / Dies ist ein Archiv des InstallSite Forums. Hier können keine neuen Beiträge veröffentlicht werden.
Photo

Setup.exe not launching

2 replies to this topic

sarfu

sarfu
  • Full Members
  • 44 posts

Posted 27 September 2007 - 13:16

Hi all,

I have developed Setup.exe ( pure msi) for our product. For upgrades we will be providing minor upgrades with REINSTALLMODE = vemus REINSTALL=ALL command in commandline.

Now say i have version 1.0.5 on target machine and if i try to install 1.0.6 the upgrades installs perfectly without showing maitenance dialog.

Now when i try to run 1.0.4 or lesser version nothing really happens. The setup.exe just dies down. I know it is not good to downgrade a product, but if the user might just un-knowingly double click the setup.exe and start wondering whats wrong. What one would expect is some dialog telling the user that you can't downgrade the product.

Now i digged deeper with regmon and setup.exe queries the regkey. There i found access to following key...

HKLM\Software\Microsoft\Windows\CurrentVersion\Installer\UserData\S-1-5-18\Products\925BD622B62E52040A406C5E1FA7D22C\InstallProperties\DisplayVersio

and its value is 1.0.5 and i guess setup.exe wont run if the current version is lesser than this value. Now i manually changed this value for the testing purpose to 1.0.2 and tried to run 1.0.4. The setup.exe did run perfectly. ( at least the initialization dialogs did appear).

Now i really dont know who is checking for the version ( as i guess msiexec process is really not invoked up to this point).

Can some body tell me is there a way to tell the user that he can't downgrade the product.

Thanks and regards
Sarfu

Stefan Krueger

Stefan Krueger

InstallSite.org

• Administrators
  • 13,269 posts

Posted 28 September 2007 - 16:35

I believe it's your setup.exe, not msiexec, checking that entry. Contact the author of the setup.exe as he would need to modify it. s this a standard setup.exe from some msi authoring tool?

sarfu

sarfu
  • Full Members
  • 44 posts

Posted 04 October 2007 - 09:31

Thanks Stefan,

I found it was my problem.

I had disabled the "prompt for upgrade options in upgrade section" and that was terminating setup.exe, when i try to install with lower version.

Regards
Sarfu