This is a ready-only archive of the InstallSite Forum. You cannot post any new content here. / Dies ist ein Archiv des InstallSite Forums. Hier können keine neuen Beiträge veröffentlicht werden.
Photo

MSI package  does n't install when I launch from service

8 replies to this topic

Ganaps

Ganaps
  • Members
  • 9 posts

Posted 10 January 2002 - 23:55

Hi
My  MSI package  does n't work when I run from NT service,I get Inernal error 2103.26.This same package works very well when I launch from executable or command prompt.

I know this is user Privilege issue,Is there any work around for this problem.

Thanks,
Gana

seier

seier
  • Members
  • 16 posts

Posted 18 January 2002 - 05:32

Hi I don't think it is a permisson issue at all.  Services are exclusively exe's or dll's I believe.  Your installation file is a .msi and therefore doesn't support this form of execution.  Also I think you have to have a special kind of .exe or .dll to run it as a service so there's basically no way to say run this "MSI" as my service, but you might try running the setup.exe for your MSI project.  Drop me a line if you need help getting it to create a setup.exe.  Christian_Blackburn@Hotmail.com

Ian Blake

Ian Blake
  • Members
  • 483 posts

Posted 18 January 2002 - 10:17

2103 - Could not get path to shell folder.

The early stages of an msi execution resolves a number of loations for shell directories.  I guess that one or more of them is unavailable in the context that you run your service.
Try generating a logfile to see which one.

seier

seier
  • Members
  • 16 posts

Posted 18 January 2002 - 10:23

I just want to make sure that everyone trying to get their MSI to run as a service is running their MSI by starting the inlcuded setup.exe and not the .msi file directly.  Because running the .msi file directly shouldn't work.  It must be a .exe in order to run as a service.  

Ian Blake

Ian Blake
  • Members
  • 483 posts

Posted 18 January 2002 - 13:00

Seier - the fact that he is getting an error from msiexec suggests that he has successfully launched the msi file from the service.  However he may need to create a better environment for it to run in.

Furthermore setup.exe is often completely redundant in a msi context.

(Edited by Ian Blake at 12:01 pm on Jan. 18, 2002)

(Edited by Ian Blake at 12:02 pm on Jan. 18, 2002)

Ganaps

Ganaps
  • Members
  • 9 posts

Posted 18 January 2002 - 18:58

Hi

I do n't want any installshield stuff in my topic,If you have any idea related to Microsft SDK is welcome.

I do n't use InstallShield.

Thansk,
Gana

dyker

dyker
  • Members
  • 1 posts

Posted 27 January 2002 - 21:17

Hi i had experienced the same kind of problem but the error code was not the same,
it was :

ERROR_CREATE_FAILED 1631 The Windows Installer service failed to start. Contact your support personnel.

can you do a verbose loging to chek your error code, because there is no 2103 error code in the windows installer doc

the raison of this problem was the windows installer service NEED a hkcu registry hive to be loaded because it MUST check if there is somme user policies.

If you try to launch windows installer  from a service witch dont load the profile for the acount it's logged on with,the windows installer service will fail to load

to be sure that it is the raison of your problem,
try to configure the service loggin account  to be the same as the one of the interactive user.

if  it work thats mean you can resolve the things by writting a profile loader utility, or try to get the beforemsi.exe utility from tivoli support

Stefan Krueger

Stefan Krueger

InstallSite.org

• Administrators
  • 13,269 posts

Posted 03 February 2002 - 08:42

2103 is documented in msi.chm. If it isn't in yours, you may need a newer version.

pantoine

pantoine
  • Members
  • 4 posts

Posted 06 February 2002 - 04:52

MSI resolves the current user's shell folders from HKEY_CURRENT_USER\Software\Microsoft\Windows\CurrentVersion\Explorer\Shell Folders.  If there is no users logged on at the machine, this would be a problem.  Maybe creating something similar in the .DEFAULT profile...?