This is a ready-only archive of the InstallSite Forum. You cannot post any new content here. / Dies ist ein Archiv des InstallSite Forums. Hier können keine neuen Beiträge veröffentlicht werden.
Photo

Server Packaging

3 replies to this topic

Vijay_k

Vijay_k
  • Full Members
  • 34 posts

Posted 29 September 2008 - 10:17

Dear All,

I am working with Windows Installer and Wise Package Studio from almost 5 years.
But now I am having a special case.

Server Packaging.

I don't have any idea about it. Google aslo haven't found any prominent details.

Could any one please help me out with any link or any information.

Thanks in advance.

Regards,
Vijay

VBScab

VBScab
  • Full Members
  • 436 posts

Posted 29 September 2008 - 11:09

There's no fundamental difference between server and workstation packaging. I suppose the 'gotchas' might be

- the need to avoid reboots where possible
- no user-level components

but, other than those, I can't really think of anything that might catch you out.
- Don't know why 'x' happened? Want to know why 'y' happened? ProcMon will tell you.
- Try using http://www.google.com before posting.
- I answer questions only via forums. Please appreciate the time I give here and don't send me personal emails.

Vijay_k

Vijay_k
  • Full Members
  • 34 posts

Posted 29 September 2008 - 12:37

Hi VBScab,

Thanks for the that information.

Actually I am getting couple more information as such.

I heard that the difference in client packaging and server packaging is something related with the user information.
That means HKCU registries, shortcuts or the files that should be installed to the user profile should be handled differently. And self-heal should be disabled.
And so on.

So trying to get much more information about all of these.

VBScab

VBScab
  • Full Members
  • 436 posts

Posted 29 September 2008 - 12:42

Er, that's exactly what I said, no user-level components.
- Don't know why 'x' happened? Want to know why 'y' happened? ProcMon will tell you.
- Try using http://www.google.com before posting.
- I answer questions only via forums. Please appreciate the time I give here and don't send me personal emails.