This is a ready-only archive of the InstallSite Forum. You cannot post any new content here. / Dies ist ein Archiv des InstallSite Forums. Hier können keine neuen Beiträge veröffentlicht werden.
Photo

calling a function

1 reply to this topic

sebica79

sebica79
  • Members
  • 62 posts

Posted 26 January 2006 - 11:53

Hello,

I’m using Install Shield 11. I have a problem which I want to describe to you below.

I have a *.msm which contains some *.dll files. I just want to call in the main MSI package a function from one *.dll file which is part of the msm. That function returns a value. Depending of the value that is returned, I have to condition some other action in the main MSI package.
I observed that in the msm, can be called only the function from a msi.dll – this is not a option for me. I wanted to create a CA in the msm but I wasn’t allowed to do that (available are only: *.exe, msi.dll, VBScript, VJScript, SetProperty, SetDirectory).
So, to insert in the main msi package a CA, that CA must be created in the msm file.

My question is, can it be possible to call a function which returns a value from the static *.dll file in the msm that includes that dll?

Thanks in advance,
Sebastian

Stefan Krueger

Stefan Krueger

InstallSite.org

• Administrators
  • 13,269 posts

Posted 27 January 2006 - 18:30

Basically you need a wrapper "msi dll" that will call you standard DLL and will also handle the return value. InstallShield's Standard DLL custom action type is such a wrapper. Have you tried using that and specified the DLL fromm the custom action as DLL being called? Remember that you cannot do this before InstallFiles action (with a deferred custom action) resp. not before InstallFinalize (for immediate custom action)